Arenz turns things around for Zips

“The University of Akron’s volleyball team is making strides. That may sound like a stretch seeing as how they’re 7-9 overall, with only one conference victory. Their record is deceptive, as the Zips boast a number of talented individuals. Junior outside hitter Brionna Patterson has averaged over three kills a game and fellow outside hitter Liz Martin averages over two.”

The University of Akron’s volleyball team is making strides.

That may sound like a stretch seeing as how they’re 7-9 overall, with only one conference victory.

Their record is deceptive, as the Zips boast a number of talented individuals. Junior outside hitter Brionna Patterson has averaged over three kills a game and fellow outside hitter Liz Martin averages over two.

The majority of the players on this roster, however, credit first year head coach Ron Arenz for much of the improvements on the court.

Kara Smith, the Zips junior setter who has posted 631 assists on the season, is one of those players.

He’s refined many parts of my game, Smith said. He’s improved my foot and handwork and has done a great job of keeping us focused mentally.

Smith also said that this year’s squad differs greatly from teams of the past.

It’s a complete 180, Smith said. Everything from pre-game, post-game, even the attitude is different.

Coach Arenz said he kept it basic when instilling a new attitude to the Zips.

We just had to establish a work ethic as well as a sense of pride, Arenz said. We have to focus on controlling the things we can control.

Arenz feels that with the level of talent on this team, making transitions really hasn’t been a problem at all.

The players on this team have the physical talent to play at a high division one level, he said. We have a pretty versatile group that can adjust on the fly; we’re always able to make adjustments.

An adjustment UA fans and players both want to see is an improvement in the MAC tournament. Zips have been ousted in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament each of the last two years.

To make matters worse, UA has managed only four conference wins since the 2006 season. Arenz and his squad remain confident that they have the potential to be one of the better teams in the MAC. And, according to Coach Arenz, other teams are taking note.

The team will head out to Kalamazoo, Michigan to take on the Western Michigan Broncos this Friday before heading to Dekalb, Ill. to square off against the Huskies of Northern Illinois before returning home for a crucial 5-game home stretch.

We still have the same philosophy and mentality when we come into the gym, ready to play, Arenz said.