Zips barely edge ranked Wolverines

“After blowing through the Mid-American Conference opposition, the 5th-ranked University of Akron men’s soccer team stepped out of conference to welcome Big Ten power Michigan to Lee Jackson field Wednesday night. The 18th ranked Wolverines proved to be a formidable opponent as the game went scoreless until mid-way through the first half when junior mid-fielder Ben Zemanski was able to set up Anthony Ampaipitakwong who punched it in for the Zips.”

After blowing through the Mid-American Conference opposition, the 5th-ranked University of Akron men’s soccer team stepped out of conference to welcome Big Ten power Michigan to Lee Jackson field Wednesday night.

The 18th ranked Wolverines proved to be a formidable opponent as the game went scoreless until mid-way through the first half when junior mid-fielder Ben Zemanski was able to set up Anthony Ampaipitakwong who punched it in for the Zips.

The goal would be Akron’s only score.

Despite constant pressure, especially throughout the second half, senior goalie Evan Bush was able to hold off Michigan’s relentless attack and Akron would take the contest by a count of 1-0.

Akron’s head coach Caleb Porter admitted his team bent at times but never broke.

We knew this was going to be a battle, Porter said.

This was one of the better teams we played all year.

Porter was proud of the team’s overall performance and said that much of the credit went to the defense, especially Bush.

Michigan is a very attacking team, he said.

It goes to show how good of a goalkeeper we have.

If anyone anyone in the country questions Evan, I’d like to show them a tape of this game.

Bush himself was quick to compliment his teammates for the victory.

I don’t think we played our best, but we never gave up, Bush said.

Our guys in the back played outstanding, especially to shut out a team as good as Michigan, the senior goalkeeper said.

While the Zips did pick up the victory, Michigan kept it interesting as they lived in Akron territory, especially as the game wound down.

Bush said that it was more of the scheme Michigan ran than the Zips actually breaking down.

He also said he felt his teammates did a good job of handling the Wolverine’s aggressive pressure attack.

They threw so many guys at us, Bush said.

We were always able to counter-attack.

Michigan tied the Zips with six shots on goal, while dominating Akron 8-2 in corner kicks, but were unable to capitalize.

Akron will play their final home game of the season this Saturday against Western Michigan.

” #1.1360801:3205245951.jpg:IMG_2745.jpg:Senior Matt Tutich dribbles the ball down the field Wednesday night against Michigan. The Zips beat the Wolverines by a score of 1-0.:”