Relaxing alternative to downtown bars

“Here we are, only a month or so until the fall semester is over. No doubt there is an abundance of homework, papers, and tests. Naturally going out and getting annihilated would be severely detrimental to final grades. It is times like these that the flashy Akron bars start to lose their splendor because venturing to these establishments usually ends in a night of hazy memories the next morning.”

Here we are, only a month or so until the fall semester is over. No doubt there is an abundance of homework, papers, and tests. Naturally going out and getting annihilated would be severely detrimental to final grades. It is times like these that the flashy Akron bars start to lose their splendor because venturing to these establishments usually ends in a night of hazy memories the next morning. There is a restaurant bar downtown that is not exactly the pinnacle of a party night but it nonetheless would probably serve us better than the hippest of clubs at this point in the school year. The Lockview restaurant and bar is a complete haven for those of us who realize that while a night out is always needed at least once a week, it does not have to be an excursion into belligerence.

With a gracious atmosphere provided by the quaint candlelit tables and chalkboard filled with types of beverages, it is natural to feel at ease in such a place. It is a lot like having a regular pub in the middle of downtown, because it is a bar that seems to allow us to have those deep drunken conversations without the need for shouting. As manager Matt Nulichak states, they try to provide a relaxing alternative to typical downtown bars. Along with the sensational surroundings this bar provides, it also differs from the ritzy downtown joints in that the beer and wine selection at The Lockview far exceeds the rest of Akron establishments. A rough estimation provided by Nulichak from a combination of imported and domestic puts the total at about 125. Of course this varies from month to month depending on what is in stock for the specials and time of year. They also have daily specials from 4 to 9 p.m. ranging from $10 off all wine bottles on Wednesday to a bucket of five domestic beers for $9 on Thursdays and the kitchen has buy one grilled cheese, get the second half off. As Nulichak states, it is a place to get a good sandwich and drink affordably for any college student.

To those of you who are wondering what happened to the Lime Spider, it is still the same building but the name has changed and so has the look and feel of the bar, which is not necessarily a bad thing. They still encourage us to make it a regular hang out just as it was before. From the look of things The Lockview is the perfect solution to the problem of getting into the final stretch of the semester. Also, if you are looking for a place to have a drink with a potential someone, this location is prime because it affords the comfortable atmosphere and the opportunity to discuss the variety of alcohol if the conversation stalls.

It is important to note that The Lockview does have a rooftop patio with a decent sized bar. Although it is closed for the winter months, it adds another feature to the already impressive list that the Lockview possesses and gives it a twist that other downtown bars do not have.

It is not too long before some of you may be graduating either this semester or next spring, so it is very much in your interest to stop in at the Lockview and enjoy the college life while it still lasts. For others who are still going to be around for awhile, this is a great place to unwind from the hours of schoolwork. Those of you graduating in the spring will have the luxury of the rooftop patio and bar; just another perk to completing school when the weather reflects the optimism that comes with graduation.