Our View

“It’s finally the week of Thanksgiving – time to finally eat our hearts out and relax, right? While about 90 percent of the University of Akron’s students commute and many of those live with immediate family, the other 10 percent look forward to at least a short hike home.”

It’s finally the week of Thanksgiving – time to finally eat our hearts out and relax, right?

While about 90 percent of the University of Akron’s students commute and many of those live with immediate family, the other 10 percent look forward to at least a short hike home.

Students can potentially live anywhere. Whether it is an hour drive or a five-hour plane ride, many students need the traveling time in order to reach their destination. And since Akron is attempting to make the university less of a commuter school, they need to find a way to make accommodations such as these possible.

Even despite the rising gas prices in 2007, the American Automobile Association estimated about 39 million Americans would be traveling at least 50 miles home for their Thanksgiving holiday. What does this tell us?

Many universities in Ohio are not only closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving, but also all of Wednesday. It isn’t asking for much. UA’s campus closes at 5 p.m. Wednesday, but closing starting Wednesday morning would seem to give a more adequate amount of time to prepare a feast.

Or maybe you need the time to adjust your body to wake up before dawn for Black Friday – if you’re daring enough. Even so, we think we’ve deserved the break.