Dancers set for fall performance

“This weekend the University of Akron Dance Company, is putting on their annual fall semester show. The UADC show will have a total of six pieces. Students choreographed two of them and dance faculty did the other four. The two that are choreographed by students were chosen from a performance done earlier this semester called Choreographers Workshop.”

This weekend the University of Akron Dance Company, is putting on their annual fall semester show.

The UADC show will have a total of six pieces.

Students choreographed two of them and dance faculty did the other four.

The two that are choreographed by students were chosen from a performance done earlier this semester called Choreographers Workshop. Colleen Bowen and Marie Klaiber choreographed both pieces.

They have been perfecting their work since September and have poured themselves into the dances.

The style of dance is contemporary, much like what is seen on the television show So you think you can Dance, and both pieces offer something completely different.

Bowen’s piece is joyful and happy, while Klaiber’s is more serious. Bowen’s inspiration came from the movie Little Miss Sunshine, and Klaiber’s inspiration came from her unique choice of sophisticated music. To be chosen for UADC, Bower and Klaiber had to impress the company’s faculty.

The other four pieces in this show are choreographed by University of Akron dance faculty. They range from contemporary, to pointe, jazz, modern and even some hip-hop. The show starts with a beautiful pointe piece and ends with an upbeat jazzy hip-hop number.

UADC is energetic, exciting, and well put together.

Each piece is different from the next because of the faculty’s diverse backgrounds.

This diversity is clearly evident in their pieces for UADC, and they have even included some twists, tricks, and a surprise ending.

Most of them have danced with professional companies, making them extremely qualified to teach up and coming dancers.

To be involved in this show, dancers must be either a dance major or minor.

In order to graduate, each dancer must have a certain number of performance credits with UADC or Choreographers workshop, so it is important to students toperform.

To be selected for the UADC show, dancers audition.

The audition process was much like the process in the real world.

This is to help ready the dancers for graduation and also give them realistic expectations.

To be in UADC is not a decision that is made lightly.

Each dancer must have two hours every afternoon to rehearse for this show.

This is on top of their other academic and required dance classes.

The university’s dance program is a well- recognized program and has launched many dancers into their future careers.

This is a great opportunity to see and experience the amazing UADC.

The show is located at the Paul A. Daum Theatre in Kolbe Hall.

Performances are Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.

It’s $12 for general admission, $10 for senior citizens and Akron staff and $6 for students.

For more information or reservations call 330-972-7895.