Roberts paces Zips balanced attack

“The University of Akron men’s basketball team stayed perfect on the young season with a 72-58 win over Winthrop University on Tuesday at Rhodes Arena. Junior guard Darryl Roberts led the Zips’ balanced scoring attack with a career-high 17 points. Ten of the 11 UA players who saw playing time scored.”

The University of Akron men’s basketball team stayed perfect on the young season with a 72-58 win over Winthrop University on Tuesday at Rhodes Arena.

Junior guard Darryl Roberts led the Zips’ balanced scoring attack with a career-high 17 points.

Ten of the 11 UA players who saw playing time scored.

The Zips (2-0) pulled away from the Eagles (1-2) by forcing 17 turnovers and converting the Winthrop miscues into 21 points.

I thought we did a good job of not giving up easy baskets, UA head coach Keith Dambrot said. You can’t give up easy baskets and win. You have to create easy baskets.
Senior Nate Linhart and junior Chris McKnight led the team in rebounding with seven apiece.

Dambrot said he has seen his team make improvements since its first game on Nov. 6 against Walsh University in exhibition play.

I thought we improved, he said. We showed some composure. I thought Linhart was really good. We put him on 11 (Cameron Stanley), and he slowed him down.

Stanley was 6-of-9 from the field, but committed five turnovers in 35 minutes.

UA made 17-of-21 free throws, the majority of which came in the second half and helped secure the Zips’ win.

Previewing Pitt

The Zips will play their first road game Friday when they play the Pittsburgh Panthers at Peterson Events Center.

The Panthers are ranked No. 6 in this week’s Associated Press Top 25 poll.

Dambrot is expecting a physical, difficult game.

It’s a good game for us, UA’s fifth-year head coach said. We’ll go in there and let our hair down and play. Being realistic, they’re one of the top teams in the country, so we’re going to go in knowing that it’s going to be difficult.

Roberts said the team is excited to measure itself against one of the country’s elite teams.

We’re very excited to go play at Pitt, the junior said. For me personally, I’ve never played a team quite like Pittsburgh.

We’ll get better by playing those guys.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.

” #1.1360689:2161941790.JPG:6D9O0107.JPG:Junior guard Darryl Roberts led the Zips to a 72-58 win over Winthrop Tuesday at Rhodes Arena. Roberts scored 17 points.:GARY KRUEGER / THE BUCHTELITE”