ZPN sponsors toy drive to benefit area children

“The University of Akron’s ZPN network is putting on their annual toy drive for children in Akron Children’s Hospital during the holidays. The toy drive is a great way for University of Akron students to give back to those who are less fortunate during the holiday season.”

The University of Akron’s ZPN network is putting on their annual toy drive for children in Akron Children’s Hospital during the holidays. The toy drive is a great way for University of Akron students to give back to those who are less fortunate during the holiday season. This year the project is being led by Adam Myser.

Last year, ZPN’s toy drive was very successful, donating 477 toys for children in need. Myser is hoping for 400 toys this year, and he has another idea for helping those in need: underwear.

Instead of a single toy drive, ZPN is launching two drives: one for toys donated to Akron Children’s Hospital and one for undergarments to be donated to the Haven of Rest.

It’s not the number of toys or underwear that counts, but the idea of people giving for the holiday season and helping others in need, explained Myser.

ZPN’s toy drive idea was born last year when representatives contacted Akron Children’s Hospital to ask how the student group could help the hospital’s holiday needs.

Students are encouraged to take part in the good cause by donating toys or underwear or even wrapping paper. Those who prefer more hands-on service can help ZPN with its service days and projects to benefit the Haven of Rest and Akron Children’s Hospital. Also, Salvation Army bell-ringer volunteers are always welcome.

Donated toys must be new, unwrapped and designed for a child between the ages of 2 and 15. Toys must also be appropriate (no guns or violent images). Donated underwear should be new and in its original package. Underwear for all age groups and genders are accepted.

Myser believes students should use this as an opportunity to realize how thankful and lucky they are to be spending the holidays safe and warm in their home, when other families have to resort to a homeless shelter or are stuck in the hospital. Hopefully this feeling will open up their hearts to give to and help out those less fortunate.

Students can make these donations at either the Info Office on the second floor of the Student Union or in The Hub on the first floor of the Student Union. Both the Toy Drive and Underwear Drive will be accepting donations until Dec 12.