Martin's power & timing needs improvement

“To say that sketch comedian Demetri Martin has important things to say is a joke within itself. In fact, it may be the funniest part of his new debut series, Important Things with Demetri Martin, which airs its first episode Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 10:30 p.”

To say that sketch comedian Demetri Martin has important things to say is a joke within itself.

In fact, it may be the funniest part of his new debut series, Important Things with Demetri Martin, which airs its first episode Wednesday, Feb. 11 at 10:30 p.m.

If nothing else, originality is one thing it does not lack.

Martin, creator, executive producer and of course, the star of his new series has packed this show with an array of sketches, stand-up, studio bits, animation and music to evaluate, as the name implies, important things.

The first episode, Timing, is all about the concept of time. Every bit, sketch and song in ths episode uses timing as Martin’s unfortunate punchline.

Amongst these jokes include a sketch about a man using time travel as an advantage to hook up with famous women, an actor whose emotions must be carefully timed, and a party animal who choses to rave at all the wrong times.

A few of his bits, such as two shackled men conversing in a medieval dungeon appear to be recycled, as they are re-used in the second episode, Power, which will debute the following Wednesday, Feb. 18, same time.

This episode, as one could probably guess, features jokes about people who utilize power. Some of these sketches inlude examples of meager objects turned forceful simply by drawing lines, a superhero who’s father’s death drove him to fight crime turned powerless when he discovers it may have been natural cause and a yellow belt who any real lacks power.

When it comes to jokes, Martin could possibly have combined both episodes with the power of timing, since it seems like neither of these things were utilized that carefully.

It wasn’t a complete flop, however, and given enough time it may turn into a real knee slapper, and since it is brand new it is worth giving a chance.

If anything else, the jokes are guaranteed to put a smile on the viewer’s faces, which is apparently good enough for the executives at Comedy Central, and since they are viewed in over 95 million homes across the nation they probably did their homework.

Since Martin can only be so funny by himself, he is not the only recognizable comedian in the show.

Included are some celebrity cameos by David Cross, Amanda Peet and John Oliver from the Daily show.

To be optimistic, at least viewers may take comfort knowing that they can safely pop their popcorn and not need to worry about choking on kernels.