Zakuani top pick in MLS draft

“After one of the finest seasons in school history, the University of Akron men’s soccer program is garnering more national attention. On Thursday, the Seattle Sounders chose Zips striker Steve Zakuani as the first overall pick in the MLS Superdraft. The Zips, who finished 17-2-4 and appeared in the NCAA Tournament for the seventh time in eight years, have begun to establish themselves as a solid national power under coach Caleb Porter.”

After one of the finest seasons in school history, the University of Akron men’s soccer program is garnering more national attention. On Thursday, the Seattle Sounders chose Zips striker Steve Zakuani as the first overall pick in the MLS Superdraft.

The Zips, who finished 17-2-4 and appeared in the NCAA Tournament for the seventh time in eight years, have begun to establish themselves as a solid national power under coach Caleb Porter.

Porter, in his first two years as a collegiate head coach, has made a name for himself as one of the best recruiters in the nation.

The past two years, UA’s draft classes have been ranked among the best in the country.

The draft class of 2007 featured one of the most dynamic players in the country, Steve Zakuani.

Born in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and raised in London, the soccer prodigy decided to jump across the pond and play for Porter at UA.

Of his 44 games wearing a Zips jersey, Zakuani only lost six, clinching the MAC title both seasons.

His individual statistics give a much clearer illustration of Zakuani’s caliber as a striker. This year, he led the nation in goals (20) and points (47), and was one of three finalists for the Hermann Trophy (NCAA soccer’s Heisman equivalent).

Last week, Zakuani became the first athlete from UA to leave school to play professionally as an underclassman.

Zakuani’s time in Ohio meant more than just soccer. The college experience helped him mature as a person as well as a player.

I was never allowed to relax, and that’s why I can say that I would never exchange the two years I spent in Ohio for anything else, Zakuani explained. I was always being challenged to reach new heights on the field and in the classroom.

Such maturity and level-headedness may be rare in young men Zakuani’s age, but Coach Porter has done his best to instill a sense of discipline and hunger in his team.

We had a great run, reflected Porter. We were pleased with the season, but not satisfied.

The team’s goal remains the same as every year: win the NCAA tournament. Despite the loss of Zakuani and stellar goalkeeper Evan Bush, spirits remain high as spring practice approaches.

If Porter can keep the team focused, the immense talent of his recruits (notably Kofi Sarkodie, another African-born freshman) could result in an NCAA championship for UA.