Holidays stressful for students

“The University of Akron is trying to help students keep away finals and holiday stress with some practical advice. UA recently held a lecture on this exact topic with guest speaker. Dr. Eric Hayden, Psychologist and Coordinator of Outreach of The Counseling, Testing, and Career Center.”

The University of Akron is trying to help students keep away finals and holiday stress with some practical advice.

UA recently held a lecture on this exact topic with guest speaker. Dr. Eric Hayden, Psychologist and Coordinator of Outreach of The Counseling, Testing, and Career Center.

Gwendolyn Blackshear, planner of the seminar as well as the coordinator for Health Education and Wellness at Health Services stated Hayden talked about holiday stress and how we can deal with it. The concern is that this is the time where there is transition happening. There is transition where students are going home for the holidays and it is a different environment after working a whole semester.

She goes on to explain, Hayden went over the definitions of stress, how we can handle it, symptoms of stress, the negative ways we cope with stress, as well as encouraging positive ways we cope with stress. He talked about how to deal with those things. He well rounded his lecture by talking about the services on campus that are available for students.

Two Web sites that could be of possible use are the Counseling, Testing, and Career Center (CTCC) Web site which is www.uakron.edu/counseling, and the Health Services Web site, which is www.uakron.edu/studentaff/health/index.php.

The CTCC Web site has some biofeedback activities and they also offer free counseling sessions.

The Rec Center is a great suggestion because exercise is one of those things that reduces stress, Blackshear said. You really have to take care of the whole person, including physical, mental and emotional states. Breathing is also very important. Hayden talked about diaphragm breathing, and how it can really make a difference. Staying hydrated is also important.

Anna Freeman, freshman History and Political Science major, says that she definitely feels stressed during the holidays.

I usually feel stressed because I have to share my time between my big families, and it is especially hard because my parents are separated, Freeman said. Usually I try to take a small nap. It helps me to relax more.

Freeman also believes that college students have a more difficult time than others this time of year. She explains, We cannot even think of the holidays and time off because we are concerned with studying for three or more finals that are worth a large percentage of our grade. Also, many of us have jobs to help us pay for college which provides less time for studying.

Sophomore Sales Management student Jake Anderson said that he feels stressed during finals week, but has found a way to cope with the stress.

I like to deal with final stress by working out because it gets my mind off of finals and I can be myself, Anderson said. It also helps me take out my anger if I think I did poorly on a final.

Although some college students believe they get the worst end of the deal by having finals during the holiday season, Anderson thinks otherwise. He says, I think everyone has some stress this time of year because a lot of businesses are trying to meet year end quotas, so if it’s not finals for students then it’s something else.

So whether students are stressed because of the holidays or finals, Health Services and the Counseling, Testing, and Career Center can help students, faculty, and staff feel more relaxed.

This lecture was held as a part of the Lunch and Learn series held by UA health services.

The next Lunch and Learn will be held on Jan 24, and the topic will be Hope for the Addicted Smoker. Generally, one seminar is held a month. To sign up for these Lunch and Learns students, faculty and staff can contact Blackshear at 330-972-7390 or email her at [email protected].