Students face harsh welcome to real world

” As the end of the spring semester rapidly approaches, those who will be walking across the stage may find the task more daunting than others. According to Mary Ellen Podmolik of the Chicago Tribune, the class of 2009 has an estimated 1.5 million students shifting their tassels from right to left this spring.”

As the end of the spring semester rapidly approaches, those who will be walking across the stage may find the task more daunting than others.

According to Mary Ellen Podmolik of the Chicago Tribune, the class of 2009 has an estimated 1.5 million students shifting their tassels from right to left this spring.

The National Association of Colleges and Employers stated that the class of 2009’s starting salary has fallen 2.2 percent from the starting salaries of spring 2008 graduates.

With the over abundance of graduates, limited jobs and shrinking salaries, students face some stiff competition.

The marketplace is going to continue to get worse, said Phil Gardner, Director of the Collegiate Employment Research Institute at Michigan State University told the Chicago Tribune, You have to be resilient. It’s not all going to work out the way you want it to. You’re going to be underemployed and not valued as much as you think. But you want to position yourself and keep your sights on where you want to go.

This brings back the idea of setting oneself apart from the pack. Professors have preached the benefits of an internship, but for those who never listen: not all is lost.

More than three-quarters of employers say they would prefer to hire new college graduates who have relevant work experience. For college students, that experience is most typically gained through an internship or co-op assignment, says Marilyn Mackes, NACE executive director. Nearly 20 percent of employers said they look for any type of work experience-relevant or otherwise.

Kim Beyer, Associate Director for the Center for Career Management, stated the basics of getting ready to search for that perfect job. For those who feel unprepared for the job search she says the most important two things are to make an appointment at the CCM and to develop a strong resume, which the CCM can help you perfect.

There is one thing that students should be doing to prepare regardless.

Each candidate should be staying abreast on what’s happening in the economy, she said. Like reading the paper, watching the news and doing their own research about their industry and about the careers they’re interested in.

Despite what students may have heard, there are still jobs out there.

There are still employers that are still hiring, it may sound grim out there and it is, she said. The bigger companies may offer the dream job that many students are waiting for, but smaller companies are looking for workers as well.

Some companies are downsizing and some are closing up shop, she said, referring to larger companies. If they’re not focusing their attention on the small to medium size companies then they’re missing out on a chunk of opportunities.

As for the hiring freeze, students are advised to stay in contact with the employer until the freeze ends. Use that time to make contact with someone in the company.

Part of the job search is networking, Beyer said. That’s one of the number one ways to find opportunities.