Zips fall in Michigan

“April snow canceled the University of Akron men’s baseball game against the University of Michigan Wolverines Tuesday in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Zips were looking to avenge a series loss against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles this weekend. The series loss dropped the Zips to 6-23 overall and 3-6 in the MAC.”

April snow canceled the University of Akron men’s baseball game against the University of Michigan Wolverines Tuesday in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The Zips were looking to avenge a series loss against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles this weekend.

The series loss dropped the Zips to 6-23 overall and 3-6 in the MAC. The Eagles recorded their first two wins in the MAC with the series victory improving their record to 6-23 overall and 2-7 in the MAC.

In the first game of series, the Zips defense plagued them again as they lost 6-4 to the Eagles.

The errors made us throw a lot of extra pitches early, Zips Head Coach Pat Bagtson said. It certainly put us in a tough spot.

The Zips three errors accounted for four unearned Eagle runs.

Tom Farmer was saddled with the loss going six innings, giving up two earned runs on seven hits and striking out eight.

The loss dropped Farmer’s record to 1-5 on the season with a 6.21 ERA.

The Eagles Corey Chaffins got his first win of the season lasting six innings and giving up three earned runs on eight hits.

The designated hitter Matt Skirving led the Eagles offensive charge with a two-run homerun.

Zips designated hitter Jake Plata contributed to the offense with a homerun while Zips shortstop Kevin Haas went 2-5 with a double, an RBI and a run scored.

Right fielder Brett Savage and left fielder Brandon White also tallied two hits each in the Zips loss.

The Zips won game two 8-6 behind two RBI in the top of ninth from right fielder Brett Savage and first baseman Brian Kordal that would end up being the game winning runs.

The Zips Chris Bassitt recorded the win going two and one-third scoreless innings out of the bullpen.

Ryne Romick was credited with the save after holding the Eagles in the bottom of the ninth.

The Eagles Kevin Wammes suffered the loss giving up two go ahead runs in the top of ninth.

Zips right fielder Brett Savage led the Zips offensive attack going 3-5 with a homerun and five RBI including the game winning RBI in the top of the ninth inning.

First baseman Brian Kordal went 2-4 including an insurance RBI single in the top of ninth.

The second of two Zips homeruns came from third baseman Ryan Frazee who leads the club with eight homeruns on the season.

Our offensive continues to be a positive aspect for us, Bangtson said.

The Zips dropped the rubber game to the Eagles on Sunday 5-3.

The Eagles Jordan Goldschmidt got the win going five and a third innings, giving up one earned run on seven hits and striking out seven.

The Zips Andrew Brown came into the game in the bottom of the sixth inning and got the loss lasting only an inning and two thirds, giving up two earned runs on two hits.

Benjamin Danziger got a no decision for the Zips lasting five innings, giving up three earned runs on nine hits.

Catcher Andrew Marshall went 2-3 including a solo homerun to lead the Eagles.

Designated hitter Jake Plata led the Zips going 3-5 with an RBI in the losing effort.

We’re just focusing on this weekends series, Bangtson said. We’re going to take the positives from the series against Eastern Michigan and build on them.

The Zips will head back to Lee Jackson Field this weekend for a three game set against the Northern Illinois University Huskies.

The Huskies are 11-17 overall and 4-4 in the MAC.

We want to be able to hold serve at home and start winning games against the division, Bangtson said.

The Zips will begin their series against the Huskies on Friday at 3 p.m.