Obama ends the detention camps

“When Obama was running for office he was constantly saying things about hope and change, and while there is still a long way to go, he is attempting to bring about some change. One of the first things he vowed to do was shut down the black sites that the CIA used in order to detain and interrogate prisoners.”

When Obama was running for office he was constantly saying things about hope and change, and while there is still a long way to go, he is attempting to bring about some change.

One of the first things he vowed to do was shut down the black sites that the CIA used in order to detain and interrogate prisoners.

Well, this day has finally come.

On April 9 Leon Panetta, the CIA director, announced that they will no longer operate detention facilities or black sites.

He also said that the CIA is putting an end to methods that can be considered controversial such as waterboarding.

Waterboarding is an act that simulates what it feels like to be drowning.

This is good news that people won’t have to experience this from Americans.

It is a wonder why we were still using methods that could be considered torture in 21st century.

The United States is supposed to be a civilized country, which means the barbaric ways of interrogation and holding the prisoners shouldn’t still be used.

Yes, the prisoners are international criminals, but they are still human. All human life deserves some sort of dignity.

Not only did these prisoners not have their dignity, they were often being tortured during their interrogations.

It just goes to show how primitive the United States was when handling this matter.

The thing that is the most bothersome about this whole thing is that usually the pro-life, Republican people are the ones that didn’t mind that this was happening.

When a person is pro-life, they should be pro-life all the way, not just pick and choose.

They should be against abortion, execution and torture.

While torture isn’t killing someone, it can often times be even worse. And it definitely is not a good way to treat people, even terrorists.

The United States should be above the same torturous mentality that the terrorists have.

It is important to show that we are more civilized, and torturing prisoners certainly wasn’t showing that.

Thankfully, it does seem that we are moving in the right direction, away from ignorant ways the country once had.

With the camps closed we will hopefully set an example for the rest of the world that acts that can be considered torture are an unacceptable way of dealing with terrorists and other criminals.

Hopefully this will lead to other countries that still partake in this practice to reconsider what they are doing.

Even if this doesn’t happen, it is still nice to know that the United States is at least moving in the right direction.