Student designers, models strut at show

” As the rest of the world has a whole week dedicated to fashion, seven University of Akron students held one night of it. Sunday night, student designers showcased their collections in front of friends, family and photographers at the James A. Rhodes arena as a part of the REVO Fashion show.”

As the rest of the world has a whole week dedicated to fashion, seven University of Akron students held one night of it.

Sunday night, student designers showcased their collections in front of friends, family and photographers at the James A. Rhodes arena as a part of the REVO Fashion show.

The white V shaped runway was enhanced by the surrounding lights, including a spotlight for the models, and allowed the designers to reveal their latest designs.

While each showcased their own style, they all found some common threads: dresses and hoods.

Rosalyn Bishop, a fashion merchandising student, showed dresses in blues and in one case a bold zebra, leopard and a cheetah print dress. She made all of her clothing from donated items in order to prove that people could make something out of nothing.

Devi Crump showcased dresses with bold hoods and with rich jewel toned fabrics as well as bright colors. A yellow dress with a bright colored feather bottom contrasted with a short bronze hooded cowel neck dress.

Jevon Terance told the audience in his video before the collection that his line was inspired by Michael Jordan and Kanye West. He showed his inspiration through his West-inspired glasses and the brown varsity jacket with a white capital J on the front.

Terance even dressed a model in a black leotard and gold and black wings.

Erin Shiner, a fashion merchandising and marketing major, made her fashion show debut with her collection called Ribbons and Pearls. The collection showed a more sophisticated line that offered black dresses with pearl and lace details.

That’s always going to be in style, black lace and pearls, Shiner said, citing Breakfast at Tiffany’s as the inspiration for her styles.

With black and white material used as a staple for the collection, the look remained flowing and feminine.

John Addie showcased a sports wear line featuring neutral colors and light blues in jersey knits.

Jeremy Sallee presented a predominately male line with causal subdued colors.

Sallee’s line, The Duckbill, was inspired by the duckbill platypus.

I like to mix a lot of things together and make something new that you haven’t seen before, Sallee said. He took function into consideration when creating his line.

You can wear it to work. You can wear it to the club. You can wear it to church, he said.

His line focused on men’s clothing that is something he said was a natural since he knew what wasn’t out there for him. He included a collared shirt with a hood.

Bishop showed a second line at the end of the show featuring the little black dress. She said it is something that is very sexy.

While the fashion was main topic of the night, there were a few things the designers wanted their fellow students to know.

You can create your own major, Sallee said referring to the fact that he is a fashion design major, something UA does not offer. You just have to get it approved by some deans and you can make it happen.

Shiner simply encouraged students to come out to the shows.

Student put a lot of work into it and everything is handmade, Shiner said. We just want to share it with everyone.

This is probably the most professional fashion show around Akron, Sallee said.