Get your green on

“Inspired by Earth Day, I figured I would write my column about various ways we can make our earth a greener place to live. In places such as New York City, LA and Chicago, tote canvas bags are all the rage, and is what many, if not all, people use to carry grocery and shopping items.”

Inspired by Earth Day, I figured I would write my column about various ways we can make our earth a greener place to live.

In places such as New York City, LA and Chicago, tote canvas bags are all the rage, and is what many, if not all, people use to carry grocery and shopping items.

These totes can be seen at many major retailers, and are a great alternative to paper and plastic bags. The totes prices run from $1-$5 typically and are obviously reusable.

You can even be greener while doing laundry. The brand, called Earth Friendly, provides detergents, carpet shampoo, dishwasher and window cleaner. All of their products include natural ingredients and are animal and vegan friendly. The prices are decently priced and can be purchased online on sale at drugstore.com.

While jogging at the rec and needing to quench your thirst, instead of using plastic water bottles you can replace them with re-usable bottles, which can be found in the $1 bins at Target.

But if you are the type that is constantly on-the-go, simply making sure to recycle every disposable plastic water bottle will suffice in the cause of going green.

Also, while partying over the weekend and drinking can after can of beer, you could do the world a favor by attempting to collect all of the cans and recycling them.

When looking for ways and products that will reduce your greenhouse gas emmission in your home, energystar.gov offers various energy efficient products. Using these products and making sure you follow the rules to reduce wasted electricity will help save yourself money (an estimated 30%) and will help the enviroment.

For the many commuters that go to The University of Akron, the opportunity to save money through gas-related ways and ride with a friend offers a practical and affordable alternative. Not only will riding with a friend reduce the amount of gas you put in your car, but it will also help reduce the emissions that come from your car. Another option to saving gas and reducing emissions is riding a bicycle.

When it comes to charging your phone, do so only when it’s going completely dead, and make sure to not charge it overnight, as most phones charge fully in an hour.

Along with not charging your phone overnight, turning off your laptop will also aid in keeping the computer’s battery longer, decrease your energy bill and reduce greenhouse emmissions.

For other tips and ideas to make the world a better place, visit www.earthday.net.