Baseball to face MU Friday

“The University of Akron men’s baseball team continues their MAC Tournament push this weekend when they take on the Miami University Red Hawks at Lee Jackson Field. MU is facing Eastern Kentucky University Wednesday and, pending a win or a loss, will enter the weekend series with 22-18 record overall and 11-7 in the MAC placing them in third in the MAC East.”

The University of Akron men’s baseball team continues their MAC Tournament push this weekend when they take on the Miami University Red Hawks at Lee Jackson Field.

MU is facing Eastern Kentucky University Wednesday and, pending a win or a loss, will enter the weekend series with 22-18 record overall and 11-7 in the MAC placing them in third in the MAC East.

The Zips, pending a win or a loss to The Ohio State University, are currently 14-27 and 8-10 in the MAC placing them in fifth in the MAC East.

If the MAC Tournament started today, the Zips would claim the eighth and final tournament spot. UA is currently one game ahead of the Eastern Michigan University Eagles for the final spot.

If the Zips plan to stay in the tournament picture, they must contain the potent Red Hawks bats of outfielder Adam Eaton and infielder Tommy Nurre.

Eaton, a sophomore, leads the club with a .391 batting average, .505 on base percentage, and a .689 slugging percentage.

Nurre, a senior, leads the team with nine homeruns and 37 RBI.

The series against MU begins on Friday at 3 p.m.

After the weekend series versus MU, the Zips will renew their rivalry against the Kent State University Golden Flashes beginning next week.

The Flashes are currently 32-9 overall and have the best record in the MAC Conference at a 13-4 mark.

The Zips will play the Flashes in the third annual Diamond Classic for Kids at Canal Park in Akron, Ohio on Tuesday, May 5 at 6 p.m.

UA will then travel to hostile territory in Kent, Ohio to take on KSU in a weekend series.

The Zips will hope to contain the homerun combination of infielder Greg Rohan and first baseman/outfielder Jason Patton.

Rohan leads the club with nine homeruns and Patton is one behind his pace with 8 homeruns.

The rivalry series at Kent State University will begin Friday, May 8 at 3 p.m.

The Zips will travel to Bowling Green, Ohio to take on the Bowling Green University Falcons beginning the next weekend.

The Falcons are currently 20-17 overall and two and a half games ahead of UA in the MAC Tournament outlook.

The Zips will look to draw closer to the Falcons beginning on Friday, May 14 at 3 p.m.