Board passes tuition rates

” University of Akron undergraduate students have a reason to rejoice: tuition is not being raised. The board of trustees approved the tuition rates for the 2009-2010 academic year Wednesday afternoon. Graduate and law school students however, will feel the pinch of an increase.”

University of Akron undergraduate students have a reason to rejoice: tuition is not being raised.

The board of trustees approved the tuition rates for the 2009-2010 academic year Wednesday afternoon.

Graduate and law school students however, will feel the pinch of an increase.

Nursing Anesthesia Program will see a 4.5 percent increase for classes bringing the total to $440.00 per credit hour. College of Business graduate course work will go to $400.00 and all other graduate course will be $365.00 per credit hour.

Students attending law school for the first time will be facing a 12 percent increase in tuition, returning students will have a 6 percent increase.

Law School Dean Martin Belsky said that the increase was necessary as it is covering costs. The school is now required to have full time staff teach research writing courses, which will cost $320,000. Belsky said that they are currently interviewing people for the position.
In addition, the law school is looking at either renovating or getting a new building, which is expected to cost somewhere between $23-34 million.

The law school will gain around $524,000 with the tuition increase. Approximately 25 percent of the increase will be delegated to financial aid with the $320,000 in new faculty costs and $54,000 placed into a fund for a new building.

Belsky said that he has been meeting with people and trying to raise the money instead of raising tuition.

The law school is expecting to receive 175 new students for the upcoming year. Currently there are 530 students enrolled at the law school.

The board also approved the budget for a new south campus parking deck to be located along the north side of Exchange Street between Buckeye and Sumner Street. While the initial budget was $6,654,750, an additional $237,623 added to cover the costs of the deck, bringing the total to $6,892,373.

The board of trustees will meet again on June 17, 2009.