Trustee found guilty on ethics violations

” University of Akron trustee Jack Morrison Jr. was found guilty on July 29 of two ethics violations. Judge Judith Cross sentenced him to one year of probation and fined him $1,000 after the University of Akron bought a house from Morrison’s son Jack W. Morrison.”

University of Akron trustee Jack Morrison Jr. was found guilty on July 29 of two ethics violations.

Judge Judith Cross sentenced him to one year of probation and fined him $1,000 after the University of Akron bought a house from Morrison’s son Jack W. Morrison.

The Spicer street house was bought by the younger Morrison in 2006 for $77,000 and was sold to UA a year later for $110,000.

Morrison Jr. did not vote to authorize the university to purchase his sons home.

According to the Akron Beacon Journal both Morrison’s testified that the son had borrowed money from the Morrison Family Foundation to buy the home on Spicer St.

The money was paid back to the foundation at one percent interest.

The younger Morrison borrowed money once again this time directly from his mother and father in 2007 for homes in University Park. The loan was repaid with one percent interest again, however, Morrison did not list his son as the debtor on his disclosure statement to the Ethics Commission in 2007.

According to the Journal Morrison testified that he did not list his son as a debtor as he did not consider the payments to be interest. He stated that he considered the interest to be payment for him helping his son with his house. Judge Cross disagreed, saying that interest is still income.

Morrison remains a member of the Board of Trustees at the University of Akron.