Stan Hywet, the home that rubber built

“Akron is best known as the home of basketball star LeBron James. While James has created a blip for Akron on the world radar, this great city has been in the spotlight long before James appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The city used to be the rubber capital of the world, creating tires that were mounted on the majority cars.”

Akron is best known as the home of basketball star LeBron James.

While James has created a blip for Akron on the world radar, this great city has been in the spotlight long before James appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

The city used to be the rubber capital of the world, creating tires that were mounted on the majority cars.

Firestone and Goodyear were the two industrial giants that cast a shadow over Akron, molding the city to fit its expanding needs.

Eventually, Firestone went its own way and was purchased by Bridgestone.

Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, founded in 1898 by Frank Seiberling, still remains.

Its headquarters is still located in Akron, as is the Tudor mansion the Seiberling’s built. The mansion was built by Frank and his wife Gertrude between 1912-1915 and was named Stan Hywet which means stone quarry in Old English.

Frank loved architecture and his dream house is a testament to not only this passion, but the history of Akron.

Many similar large estates built by American tycoons were destroyed in the 1960s but Stan Hywet lives on.

If you have an interest in architecture this is the best example of Tudor revival in the country, Donna Spiegler communications manager said.

In 1957 it was given to a non-profit organization and is recognized as a national historic landmark. It is the only one with this status in the entire city of Akron. From the moment the property was created, it has served a greater purpose than just a home for the Seiberlings.

The family foresaw this and incorporated this belief into the estate’s theme above the front door’s entrance. It reads in Latin Non Nobis Solum which means in English Not for us Alone.

The estate originally rested on more than 1,000 acres but now consists of about 70. There are tours available for the manor house and grounds which include a conservatory, gardens and gate house.

If you’ve never visited, you might have thought such a place couldn’t exist in Akron. There are a wide range of visiting options aside from getting tours of the museum.

I think there’s a lot more to it than just a museum. There is so much more to it. It’s close to campus and easy to get here, Barb Ventura public program coordinator said.

The grounds are great for picnics and can even be reserved for special occasions with select membership options.

There are many different gardens available for those with a green thumb and an interest in horticulture.

The English Garden is one of a few intact public Ellen Biddle Shipman gardens in the U.S. Shipman is a famous landscape architect known for her unique style.

Stan Hywet has events year round including Ohio Mart which hosts numerous arts and crafts vendors on Oct. 1 – Oct. 4. They also decorate the house and grounds during Christmas with a unique theme.

Also, every Thursday it offers a Farmer’s Market from 4-7 p.m.

The pricing is very reasonable and varies depending on the day and different events that are taking place. There is also a student discount with a valid university ID.

Sometimes you go on vacation but don’t look in your backyard. This is a gem and like a little vacation, Spiegler says.

Whether you want a quiet place to write a paper or a fun place to go on a date, the possibilities are endless. It is definitely a must see for any student looking for something relaxing and interesting to do.

The entrance to the grounds is located at 714 N. Portage Path. They also have a page on Facebook and Twitter. For more detailed information visit stanhywet.org.