Best films of 2009… so far

“This year has already delivered several great films from many different genres. With even more to come in the upcoming months, 2009 should finish even stronger than it began. Now that we are eight months into the year, I felt the need to recognize the five films that outshined the competition.”

This year has already delivered several great films from many different genres. With even more to come in the upcoming months, 2009 should finish even stronger than it began. Now that we are eight months into the year, I felt the need to recognize the five films that outshined the competition.

I Love You, Man- Paul Rudd and Jason Segal, both members of the Judd Apatow Brat Pack, shine in one of the funniest movies of the year. The film opens as Rudd proposes to his girlfriend and then goes on a series of man dates in order to find a best man. In addition to the humor, I Love You, Man also delivers on a heartfelt note. It becomes more than just a buddy comedy and is a great, fun film about love and friendship.

The Hangover – When I first saw previews for The Hangover, I had no real desire to see it. It looked like a stereotypical raunchy comedy with sophomoric humor and no pay off….Man, was I wrong. I won’t say it’s the funniest movie I’ve ever seen but I was pleasantly surprised. It was extremely well casted and written. With laughs from beginning to end, The Hangover was able to keep them fresh and fun throughout.

Up- Up is about an old man who is bitter towards the world after the death of his wife, so he decides that he will tie a multitude of balloons to his house an fly away. However, he doesn’t know that an 8 year-old boy scout decided to accompany him. Like other Pixar films, such as Finding Nemo and Toy Story, Up sends parents and children alike out of the theater with smiles on their faces as they recall all their favorite moments.

State of Play- Russel Crowe and Rachel McAdams each play reporters for the Washington Globe who are investigating the possible connection between an armed robbery where two men were shot and the death of a woman who happened to be the lead researcher on an important congressional hearing. They soon find themselves in over their heads as they uncover the truth about the incidents. State of Play is extremely well acted by Crowe and McAdams, as well as Ben Affleck who plays the congressman who is in charge of the hearing, and also happens to be Crowe’s former college roommate. The fact that they were roommates is hard to grasp considering Crowe looks at least 10 years older than Affleck, but luckily, that is one of the film’s only flaws.

The Hurt Locker- The Hurt Locker is the story of an elite team of soldiers in Iraq who specialize in finding and disarming bombs. With only a few weeks left in their deployment, a new leader is sent to command the group and his care-free attitude and refusal to comply with the simplest safety regulations cause the team members to butt heads. The film is extremely well written, with strong performances across the board from its less than star-studded cast. In addition to the acting and writing, the use of handheld camera work adds an authenticity that makes you feel like you’re riding through the Iraqi dessert with the soldiers.