Flu season is coming-be proactive

“The weather is changing and that means the flu is coming upon us fast. There are things that we should be aware of and ways for us to stop any sickness in its tracks. According to UA’s Student Health Services, so far, there have been no confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu virus on campus, and most of the cases nationwide have been mild.”

The weather is changing and that means the flu is coming upon us fast.

There are things that we should be aware of and ways for us to stop any sickness in its tracks.

According to UA’s Student Health Services, so far, there have been no confirmed cases of the H1N1 flu virus on campus, and most of the cases nationwide have been mild.

This is great news for all UA students in confined classrooms and the thousands of students passing through the student union or Bierce library.

In a recent Zipmail, UA’s Student Health Services issued this statement, If you are experiencing flu symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and our health professionals recommend that you stay home for at least 24 hours until after your fever is gone, except to get medical care or other necessities.

Your fever should be gone without the use of a fever-reducing medicine.

Some preventative measures are to your wash hands a lot, use a hand sanitizer before and after touching anything and not kissing others who are sick.

These seem simple to follow.

Using common sense will help combat any illness.

Taking your vitamins and other medicines regularly, dressing appropriately, and listening to your mom when she says eat your vegetables are other common sense duties that we don’t always follow but should.

And alas, closing the lid when you flush the toilet seems to be the most reasonable and easy solution to avoiding the flu.

Their is some controversy about whether fecal matter actually spreads all over the bathroom causing flu symptoms when say brushing with an exposed toothbrush.

But as the old saying goes, better to be safe than sorry.

The UA Student Health Services urges everyone to notify your professors by phone or e-mail of your illness as soon as possible, and be prepared to make up any work that is missed.

And let UA’s Student Health Services know of your illness, so that we can track its progress, if any, on campus.

The number is 330-972-7808.

Getting sick isn’t fun but there are plenty of preventative measures if we just take the time to do them.

So, eat better, get plenty of sleep and wash your hands!