Jacquemain suspended indefinitely

“The University of Akron football team suspended senior quarterback Chris Jaquemain on Sept. 18 indefinitely for violating a team policy, He did not participate in the Zips loss to the Indiana University Hoosiers on Sept. 19. The Zips have not set a timetable for his return.”

The University of Akron football team suspended senior quarterback Chris Jaquemain on Sept. 18 indefinitely for violating a team policy,

He did not participate in the Zips loss to the Indiana University Hoosiers on Sept. 19. The Zips have not set a timetable for his return.

Jacquemain started the first two games of the season completing 26 of 44 passes for 320 yards, four touchdowns and one interception.

Sophomore Matt Rodgers replaced Jacquemain as the starting quarterback.

The team likes Matt and that’s football, Zips Head Coach J.D. Brookhart said. He’s a good football player and I don’t think that’s going to be a problem whatsoever.

It’s a matter of everybody taking care of their business and doing their job.

Rodgers, who was named the starter on Sept. 17, made his first start against Indiana completing 14 of 23 passes for 165 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions.

I wouldn’t call it ideal on Thursday to switch things up, Brookhart said. But, it is what it is.

Prior to being named the starter, Rodgers saw brief action in the first two games of the season making more of an impact with his feet.

Rodgers has rushed for 83 yards and one touchdown on the season.

Rodgers struggled in his first start throwing four interceptions, but has still managed to throw for 189 yards and one touchdown on the entire season.

It was a shock, but, as a team, we are pretty close, Zips freshman linebacker Brian Wagner said of the suspension of Jacquemain. The whole team rallied around Matt and we trust him.

If Jacque’ comes back than Jacque’ comes back, but Rodgers is our quarterback and we have all the faith in the world in him.

Rodgers will make his second start of his college career Saturday Sept. 26 when the Zips take on the Central Michigan Chippewas in Mt. Pleasant, Mich.