Diversity week ends with cook-off

” In the rain and gloom of Saturday, a small group of students had a fair of warm food and friendly competition. The event, put together by the Black Law Students Association, Akron Chapter, was the final event of diversity week. From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., students of the association and members of the community could come and bring their home cooked dishes to share.”

In the rain and gloom of Saturday, a small group of students had a fair of warm food and friendly competition. The event, put together by the Black Law Students Association, Akron Chapter, was the final event of diversity week.

From 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., students of the association and members of the community could come and bring their home cooked dishes to share. The cook-off took place in the C. Blake McDowell Law Center Cafeteria.

The event has been held in the past, but not during diversity week. It is usually during the week, exclusive to the Law School. This year, we tried to open it up to the community, Takeita Wilkerson, president of the Black Law Student Association said.

Normally the event is traditional food, Wilkerson said. This year the organization wanted to open it up and make the dishes more diverse.

Cost of a plate at the cook-off was $2 and went to the Black Law Students Association. The cook-off is used as the group’s fundraiser. The funds go to help them compete in national events for their organization, such as regional mock trial.

Throughout the event two judges, Kenyonna Matthews and Glynnis Miller, previous graduates of the Law School and workers at Akron community court, tasted all of the dishes at the fair and decided on winners within the various categories, such as meat dishes and pastas.

It was the first time that the event had judges. Around noon, winners of the cook-off were announced. There were three winners, all in the organization. The winners were Whitney Jones Moore, with spinach lasagna, Kristan Pitts, with meatballs and sausage and NeQuantis Smith, with buttermilk pie.

The Black Law Students Association is the largest student run organization in the country. The Akron chapter is involved in community service and hosts several community events throughout the year.