Chinese culture comes to UA

” All next week at The University of Akron events and presentations will be given about China. China Week will run from Oct. 5 through Oct. 9 and will give students and staff at UA the opportunity to learn about China. China week is a collaborative effort among faculty, staff and students to enhance understanding of the Chinese language and culture.”

All next week at The University of Akron events and presentations will be given about China. China Week will run from Oct. 5 through Oct. 9 and will give students and staff at UA the opportunity to learn about China.

China week is a collaborative effort among faculty, staff and students to enhance understanding of the Chinese language and culture. It is a week-long series of events that provides a variety of educational opportunities for UA and the community. It is provided by the UA Confucius Institute and will display China’s culture, politics, economics and history.

There will be a number of keynote speakers throughout the week including: Dr. Susan Shirk, Walter Hixson, Dr. Annping Chin and Shawn Chen. Dr. Shirk, director of the Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation at The University of California, will discuss China’s rise to power and the impact on Sino-American relations and world politics. The week of speeches will start on Oct. 5. All the keynote addresses will take place from 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at the Student Union Theater throughout the week.

There will also be many other events throughout the week. On Oct. 5, Dr. Zhang Yongfang and Dr. Bill Lyons will present Fun with Chinese characters and proverbs. Then the following day, Dr. Baomei Zhao, Dr. Xin Liang and Dr. Hefeng Guan will discuss Chinese Women of Past, Present and Future. Also on Tuesday, students can take part in Exploring the beauty of Chinese calligraphy at the Student Union. Later on in the week, there will also be discussions on opportunities for students in China and Chinese philosophy.

On Thursday, at Guzzetta Recital Hall, a concert will be performed by Song Xin and his wife. Xin is a professor at Henan University in China. The performance will be held from 8 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. and is titled, Erhu and Pipa Concert.

A traditional Chinese dumpling party will be held Friday night in the second floor gym at The Chinese Church at The Chapel. It will be hosted by The Chinese Student Scholar Association (CCSA), The Akron Chinese Christian Church and The Chapel. To attend an American student must bring a Chinese friend or a Chinese student must bring an American friend. The CSSA can and will assist students in finding friends.

The last event of the week will be a performance by the Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company at the Akron Civic Theater. It will be held at 8 p.m. on Oct. 10. Participants of China Week will receive a discounted ticket rate; however information on how this will be accomplished is not yet available. Nai-Ni Chen is an Asian-American choreographer that blends the freedom of American dance with the stoic discipline of the Chinese classical arts.

There will also be films played throughout the week about Chinese culture. Movies will be shown on Oct. 5, 6 and 7 at the Student Union Theater from 4 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. The Road Home will be played on Oct. 5 and is about a businessman who returns to his village in North China for his father’s funeral. On Oct. 6, Eat Drink Man Woman will be played. It is about Senior Master Chef Chu who lives with his three unmarried daughters in Taipei. Shower will be shown on Oct. 7 and is about a businessman who returns home to his family’s bathhouse.

The UA Confucius Institute is part of an international network of institutes. It promotes the expansion of Chinese language instruction through various educational activities for students, faculty, businesses and members of the community. It is supported by the Chinese Ministry of Education.

For more details about events along with a full schedule of China Week go to the following Web site: http://www.uakron.edu/ci/china-week.dot