Wellness Fair focuses on student health

“The Student Recreation and Wellness Center hosted the annual Wellness Fair on Tues. Sept. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside the blue courts. We highlighted the belly dancing demonstration and performance by the instructor of belly dancing here at the rec, said Gwendolyn Blackshear, coordinator health promotion at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.”

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center hosted the annual Wellness Fair on Tues. Sept. 29 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside the blue courts.

We highlighted the belly dancing demonstration and performance by the instructor of belly dancing here at the rec, said Gwendolyn Blackshear, coordinator health promotion at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

The instructor, Yelena Tarakora, holds classes every Tuesday night at 8 p.m. Classes are $20 for six sessions.

The Men of Nursing Program also participated in the Wellness Fair by doing blood pressure screening. The Counseling Center shared information about their services including different testing they offer and they also made sure students know about the free, unlimited visits to help deal with personal relationship concerns, depression, and anxiety, Blackshear said.

The SRWC is offering a Student Nutrition Program. Registered dietician, Dawn Scott, was there to talk about the program. There is an assessment fee of $20. Twenty dollars is pretty inexpensive compared to other places, Blackshear said.

Students now have the option of having their own personal trainer. One session is $15. More information can be obtained by calling 330-972-6599.

Blackshear also makes note that the Women’s Studies Program, Planned Parenthood and Noise, an alternative social networking program, also participated in the fair.

The Akron Health Department shared information on quitting smoking, alcohol, and drugs. The Rape Crisis Center was there to talk about assault which is pretty important with the recent assault cases, Blackshear said.

The Summit County Suicide Coalition and Community AIDS Network were there to do free HIV testing.

Blackshear wasn’t all that impressed with the student turnout. Although the fair was scheduled to go until 3 p.m. it ended at 2 p.m. due to low attendance. She believes the bad turnout may have been due to the weather.

We were glad to have the opportunity to showcase the building and highlight some new programs. We are happy for good, supportive departments and the community programs are always cheerleaders for us, Blackshear said.

Students came to the fair for many different reasons. One reason being the chance to win one of several iTunes gift cards.

We want students to enjoy their time on the treadmill at the rec by having good music to listen to, Blackshear said.

Some students also came from their classes for information pertaining to their major.

Blackshear is already looking forward to hosting another event in the spring. I can’t wait to look at what else we want to do and collaborate with other departments inside and outside of student affairs. She continues to encourage the campus community to strive towards good health.