Men's soccer scores six in win against BGSU

“The University of Akron’s men’s soccer team beat the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) Falcons Saturday night by an impressive count of 6-0. With the win, the No. 1 ranked Zips improve to (7-0-0, 1-0-0 MAC) on the season. We wanted to come out and play to our standard and to our potential, and I thought we did that, Zips head coach Caleb Porter said.”

The University of Akron’s men’s soccer team beat the Bowling Green State University (BGSU) Falcons Saturday night by an impressive count of 6-0.

With the win, the No. 1 ranked Zips improve to (7-0-0, 1-0-0 MAC) on the season.

We wanted to come out and play to our standard and to our potential, and I thought we did that, Zips head coach Caleb Porter said. We came out with good energy and urgency, and I thought our pressure really set the tone for our attack.

The Zips wasted no time in getting the offense moving as in the sixth minute of the game freshman defender Chad Barson found the net on a header from a corner kick by midfielder Michael Nanchoff.

The second goal of the night came in the 18th minute when forward Teal Bunbury found the right corner of the net.

Six minutes later, Nanchoff struck at goal and the ball was deflected to forward Darlington Nagbe who put the ball into the back of the net for his third goal of the season.

Bunbury continued his dominance on the offensive side of the ball when a shot was deflected to him in the 34th minute. Bunbury struck the ball into the right corner of the net for his second goal of the night.

Midfielder Ben Zemanski added to the score one minute later with a rip from ten yards out.

Midfielder Ben Speas found the corner of the net to put the Zips up 6-0 just before halftime.

The goals from Barson, Zemanski and Speas were their first of the year while Bunbury’s two scores added to his team leading five goals.

It was very pleasing to score a couple of restart goals, Porter said. We also scored a couple of garbage goals. Up until this point this team has done well at scoring the pretty goals, but we’ve been talking about the fact that we have to score the ugly goals sometimes.

With four assists on the night, Nanchoff matched a 43-year-old school record. The record was originally set by Ed Bender in 1956 and was also matched in 1974 by Nanchoff’s father, George Nanchoff.

The Zips are now (1-0) in the MAC conference with the defeat of BGSU.

Although the Zips have dominated in the MAC conference lately, there are still solid teams to be played later on in the season.

We have some of our toughest games of the year in the conference, Porter said. We don’t get a whole lot of credit in our conference but it is a tough conference top to bottom.

Everybody’s kind of gunning for us and we know we are going to get their best, so we need to be at our best.

On Wednesday night, the Zips will play host to the Ohio State Buckeyes. In the latest NSCAA/Adidas Poll, Ohio State received 34 votes, although they failed to break the top 25 ranking.

Last year the Zips battled with the Buckeyes twice; once during the regular season, and once in the NCAA tournament.

The regular season battle was back and forth all night on the campus of Ohio State. The Zips came out victorious by a score of 4-3.

The tournament game was just as exciting as former Zip Matt Tutich put a goal in during the closing seconds of a double overtime game at the St. Vincent-St. Mary football field.

The game was moved to St. Vincent-St. Mary’s because of unplayable surfaces at Lee Jackson Field.

It’s going to be a barn burner, Porter said. We have had some incredible matches with them in the past couple of years and I expect nothing less.

I’m looking forward to it and I know our players are as well. I know the guys are excited about finishing on a good note before we go on the road.

A sellout crowd is once again expected for this game so come early to ensure a good seat. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m.