Fraternity helps notable

” UA fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi will have its first annual bike-a-thon this week in Akron. On Oct. 3, they will host a bike-a-thon, in support of Livestrong, the Lance Armstrong Fountion. Riders will be able to take part in either a six-mile course or a 14-mile course.”

UA fraternity Alpha Sigma Phi will have its first annual bike-a-thon this week in Akron. On Oct. 3, they will host a bike-a-thon, in support of Livestrong, the Lance Armstrong Fountion.

Riders will be able to take part in either a six-mile course or a 14-mile course. Both will start at 8:30 a.m. at the Cascade Valley Trailhead of the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath on North St. The six-mile course will travel to the Big Bend Trailhead and the 14-mile course will run to the Botzum Road Trailhead and back.

John-Michael Williford, vice president of Alpha Sigma Phi, is very excited about the event. We are making the bike-a-thon our annual philanthropic event. We are expecting 40 to 50 fraternity members to bike in the event, Williford said.

Williford talked about why they are having two different courses. We want to give people options. Some people want a bigger challenge, while some people like a more casual ride.

All proceeds from the event will be donated to Livestrong. The foundation helps to unite and empower people affected by cancer and has made $250 million in the past 12 years. We provide the practical information and tools people with cancer need to live life on their own terms, according to information posted on www.livestrong.org.

The foundation was started in 1997 by cyclist Lance Armstrong, who was diagnosed with testicular cancer on Oct. 2, 1996. The foundation sold more than $55 million in wristbands since 2005. Livestrong Day, which is held on Oct. 2, will be a global day of action to raise cancer awareness, and is another reason for the bike-a-thon.

Participants can register for the bike-a-thon until Oct. 1 by mail or in person at The Hub from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. for $15.

On each of the routes, refreshment stops will be provided. They will contain water and fruit for the riders.

A raffle with prizes will also be held at the event. Participants may purchase a bike-a-thon T-shirt for $5.

Each rider will also be responsible for signing a liability release along with wearing a helmet while riding. Helmets will be sold at the event for riders who do not have one.

For more information contact: Pulkit Gupta, event coordinator at [email protected]