Women's soccer to face WMU and NIU over weekend

“This weekend the Zips (2-4-1) will travel to Michigan and Illinois to take on the Western Michigan Broncos (4-4-1) and the Northern Illinois Huskies (4-4-2). Any time you are on the road in conference it is tough, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said. Last weekend the Zips opened up MAC play against the Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-2-4) and the Central Michigan Chippewas (7-3).”

This weekend the Zips (2-4-1) will travel to Michigan and Illinois to take on the Western Michigan Broncos (4-4-1) and the Northern Illinois Huskies (4-4-2).

Any time you are on the road in conference it is tough, Zips head coach Chris Pfau said.

Last weekend the Zips opened up MAC play against the Eastern Michigan Eagles (4-2-4) and the Central Michigan Chippewas (7-3).

Both games went into double overtime and the Zips tied with the Eagles and lost with nine minutes left in the second overtime to the Chippewas.

The Zips only scored one goal this past weekend by sophomore Rachel Phillip, but defensively the Zips played very aggressively.

I am very pleased with the way we are playing team defense, teams are getting frustrated and we are not letting up many goals that are easy this year, Pfau said.

On Friday the team will take on the Broncos. The Broncos are currently fifth in the conference.

Key players on the Broncos are Anina Cicerone and Ali Jacobs who lead the Broncos with two goals each.

Leading the team with three assists is Nicole Dulyea. Kelsey Carmichael has twelve shots for the year.

The Broncos are coming off a 3-2 win from last Sunday against the Bowling Green Falcons.

Nicole Dulyea, Stephanie Skowneski, and Anina Cicerone had the three goals for the Broncos.

Goaltender Sarah Phillips had one save in the game.

Goaltending for the Broncos Sarah Phillips has one save and Julia Francy with thirty six saves.

On Sunday the Zips will travel down to Illinois to take on the Northern Illinois Huskies who are currently seventh in the conference. The Huskies are coming off a tie from last Sunday against the Toledo Rockets.

Key players to keep an eye out for on the Huskies are Lisa Maier (leads the team with eleven shots) and Kim Schmitt who lead the team with two goals each.
Micaela Damas,

Kelly Mullany, Annie Wyer, Megan Harry, Mo Smunt, and Shelbi all lead the team with one assist each.

The Zips need to improve in the box from this past weekend’s games before they face the Broncos and Huskies.

When the ball is played into the box, we need to attack the ball; we need to run through the ball, no one remembers how you scored, Pfau said. It does not matter if it comes off your shin or you foot, but someone needs to get in the box and show that they want to score.

The Zips leading scorers are Britini Back, Rachel Phillip and Alysia Virkler with two goals a piece. Leading the team with assists is Britini Back with two.

Goaltender Jeny Wolbert has thirty saves for the season.

The next time the Zips play at home at Lee Jackson Field is Friday Oct. 16 against Miami University.

The Zips also take the Ball State Cardinals the same weekend on Sunday Oct. 18.