Awards keep coming for Zips as they prepare for Western Michigan

“It seems as though at least one player on the University of Akron’s men’s soccer team is getting recognized every week. This week, midfielder Michael Nanchoff has been named to the National Team of the Week by College Soccer News. It’s quite an honor, Nanchoff said.”

It seems as though at least one player on the University of Akron’s men’s soccer team is getting recognized every week.

This week, midfielder Michael Nanchoff has been named to the National Team of the Week by College Soccer News.

It’s quite an honor, Nanchoff said. Once I found out the news, it was definitely a great feeling.

The Zips are no stranger to this award, as defenders Zarek Valentin and Kofi Sarkodie have already been named to the National Team of the Week.

Nanchoff has also been named as the MAC player of the week for this week and was also a member of Soccer America’s team of the week the previous two weeks.

It is not surprising that Nanchoff has been recognized with these awards because he has been a vital role in the Zips offense this season.

Nanchoff leads the team so far this year with eight assists in nine games. He also has assisted three goals in his last two games.

A school record was also broken by Nanchoff when he assisted four goals in one game when the Zips took on Bowling Green.

Sometimes things just fall into place, Nanchoff said. What it comes down to is that somebody else is on the other end of things, and we are finishing our chances.

Surprisingly Nanchoff is coming back to the team very dominant this year after missing last year due to an illness.

Sitting out and just watching it and being so weak, it was nothing but motivation to come back and get stronger, Nanchoff said.

The team will travel to take on the Western Michigan Broncos on Saturday after already playing games versus Florida Atlantic and Chicago-Illinois on the road trip.

Last year the Zips took care of Western Michigan by a score of 2-0 on senior night at Lee Jackson Field.

This year the battle may be a little more difficult as the Broncos have the 38th best offense in the nation.

The Broncos are lead by junior midfielder Saeed Sulemana Baba who ranks second in the nation in goals per game at (1.14).

There is a lot for the Zips defense to maintain during the game.

Freshman goalkeeper David Meves leads the nation with his impressive (0.114) goals against average and is ranked fourth in save percentage at (0.923).

The defense has not allowed a goal in the previous 574 minutes of play. Also the defense has not allowed a goal in the first half of a game all season.

On the offensive side of the ball, the team has outscored opponents 20-0 in their shutout streak.

The Zips have scored goals from 10 different players throughout games, as well as game winning goals from six different players.

Sophomore forward Teal Bunbury leads the team thus far with seven goals and is 14th in the nation in scoring.

He has six goals in his last four games and is always a threat to the opposing goalie.

After the Zips play Western Michigan on Saturday, they will finish up their four game road trip with a match against the Virginia Tech Hokies before they finally return home to play Northern Illinois.

It just comes down to balance, Nanchoff said. Our coach called us the road warriors, so hopefully we will come out 4-0 after this road trip.

Game time for the Western Michigan game is set for 2 p.m.