Campus safety among the worst

“In a recent nationwide ranking of campus safety, the University of Akron ranked 319th out of 450 schools. The university fell in the lower 29th percentile in the ranking released Dec. 1 by StateUniversity.com. The Web site exclusively used crime reports submitted by campus officials, ranking the schools based on the number of murders, forcible rapes, vehicle thefts, larcenies and thefts, robberies and aggravated assaults.”

In a recent nationwide ranking of campus safety, the University of Akron ranked 319th out of 450 schools.

The university fell in the lower 29th percentile in the ranking released Dec. 1 by StateUniversity.com.

The Web site exclusively used crime reports submitted by campus officials, ranking the schools based on the number of murders, forcible rapes, vehicle thefts, larcenies and thefts, robberies and aggravated assaults.

Other schools in the area, such as Kent State and Cleveland State, ranked higher at 157th and 290th, respectively. The only other public-supported school in the state ranking lower than Akron was the University of Cincinnati ranked 380th.

According to the ranking, the safest college in the nation is Arkansas State-Beebe Campus. The highest ranking and safest public-supported school in Ohio is Columbus State, which ranked 105th.

Over the past two years crime statistics have slowly been decreasing on UA’s campus. The number of on-campus motor vehicle thefts has declined from 20 in 2006 to six last year.

In the past three years, the university has had no non-forcible sex offenses on campus.

The number burglaries, according to the report, increased since 2007.

The campus and security statistics for the UA were put into categories of on-campus residence halls, non-campus buildings including fraternities and sororities and public property adjacent to the university. Most offenses in the safety statistics occurred in the area adjacent to campus with the next highest number of offenses occurring on-campus.