Our View

“Students may wonder from time to time where exactly their tuition goes, especially because it continues to rise. Everyone knows you can’t have nice things without money, and apparently the same goes for faculty. The Akron AAUP, the faculty union, recently released a statement calling for a freeze on administrative hiring as well as haulting the use of external search firms, stating that it would be a foolish waste of money in the current economic state.”

Students may wonder from time to time where exactly their tuition goes, especially because it continues to rise.

Everyone knows you can’t have nice things without money, and apparently the same goes for faculty.

The Akron AAUP, the faculty union, recently released a statement calling for a freeze on administrative hiring as well as haulting the use of external search firms, stating that it would be a foolish waste of money in the current economic state.

It’s true that the economy is not doing so great and according to the statement, the University…confronts a financial crisis, but it’s hard not to wonder if we’d still be in the same position without the use of these firms.

Crisis or not, $100,000 seems like a lot to pay for such a service anytime, and now the university is saying tuition will rise yet again.

You can probably safely assume why, and while the university claims it cannot offer competitive salaries, many faculty members are still earning their six figure paychecks.

Many students may never see those kind of numbers in their lifetime, yet it certainly seems like they will be paying for them.

Education is definitely a valuable trait worth having, however it’s seemingly unfair to make students pay more for an expensive service that could be easily replaced with cheap advertising.

Using search firms is a luxury that is not needed, even when we are not in debt.

If the administration wants to use it, then maybe they should pay for it.

We never asked them to do it.

You don’t need to be a student to use google.