Sometimes there is more than fashion

“Welcome back! To begin with, I am very excited to announce that this semester I will be working on a new project called UA Style File, a feature which will focus on student fashion. Each week, I will select a stylish student on campus and interview them about their sartorial preferences.”

Welcome back!

To begin with, I am very excited to announce that this semester I will be working on a new project called UA Style File, a feature which will focus on student fashion.

Each week, I will select a stylish student on campus and interview them about their sartorial preferences.

The first of this on-going series of profiles is featured in today’s issue.

On a much larger note, though this is a fashion column, sometimes it is important to remember that there is much more to life than fabulous clothes and covetable accessories.

By now we are all aware of the horrifying earthquake that destroyed the lives of the already struggling people of Haiti and its aftermath.

It is just devastating to see photos of emaciated, poverty-stricken Haitians, especially children, being pulled out of the rubble.

While many people are trying their best to help, the Haitians are still in dire need of assistance, particularly in the form of money.

Last night I attended a meeting hosted by the SOuRCe, the Department of Student Life, aimed at brainstorming ideas to raise money for relief efforts in Haiti.

Liaisons for several student organizations were in attendance and we all proposed possible ways to generate funds.

The Associated Student Government and the SOuRCe mentioned that they would be willing to support and aid any student organization planning an event that will raise money for the Haitians.

I received an e-mail today that mentions that, from Feb. 1st to Feb. 5th, the Department of Student Life will be manning a table on the second floor of the Student Union by the Union Market and will be collecting loose change throughout the week between the hours of 10 A.M. and 2 P.M.

Nothing is more stylish than being a generous, charitable person, so please stop by the Student Union sometime next week and give whatever you can, even if it is a few pieces of change.

We are all fortunate enough to have shelter and food. The least we can do is give a quarter to help those who don’t.

Also, if you are a member of a student organization and have an idea for an event, feel free to call the SOuRCe at (330) 972- 7273. The more student organizations that hold events, the more money that goes to help those suffering everyday in Haiti.