Women's basketball continues to win, beats Eastern Michigan

“The Zips women’s basketball team (12-9) traveled to Ypsilanti, Mich. this Saturday and defeated the Eastern Michigan Eagles 73-66. It was a team effort today, Zips head coach Jodi Kest said. This was the first time the Zips won at the Convocation Center in 10 years.”

The Zips women’s basketball team (12-9) traveled to Ypsilanti, Mich. this Saturday and defeated the Eastern Michigan Eagles 73-66.

It was a team effort today, Zips head coach Jodi Kest said.

This was the first time the Zips won at the Convocation Center in 10 years.

Going into this game the Eagles (15-5) were ranked second in the MAC west division. They scored over half of their points in the second half this season and were known as a comeback team.

Leading the offensive attack for the Eagles was Sydney Huntley who scored 28 points. Tavelyn James tagged in another 20 points for the Eagles.

Offensively the Eagles only shot 35 percent going 20-57. They did shoot 50 percent from behind the charity strike going 8-19.

Cassie Shrock gave the Eagles nine of their 13 assists against the Zips.

Paige Redditt led the defensive attack for the Eagles as she recorded six rebounds for the game.

The Eagles recorded 25 rebounds, three blocks, and 14 steals defensively.

The Zips are off to a hot start in the Mid American Conference this year, winning six games so far.

Four Zips players scored in double digits against the Eagles.

Like we’ve been saying all year, it’s not just one player, we have a lot of players who can make a difference and we proved that again, Kest said.

The Zips made 46 percent of their shots going 24-52 in the game.

The Zips got 41 of their 73 points in the paint, being led by center Kyle Baumgartner, power forward Jolene Tamboue, and power forward Rachel Tecca.

Point guard Ayla Guzzardo gave the Zips five of their 18 assists.

Shooting guard Taylor Ruper provided a spark off the bench as she came in and made two three-pointers.

Once again power forward Jolene Tamboue proved to be powerful underneath the boards as she grabbed 13 rebounds for the Zips.

I thought we played really well defensively and picked up another tough win on the road, Kest said.

Defensively, the Zips recorded 42 rebounds, six blocks and eight blocks.

The Zips played very well defensively as they scored 16 of their points off Eagle turnovers.

Trailing the Bowling Green State Falcons (17-5) and the Kent State Golden Flashes (13-7), the Zips are third in the Eastern division in the MAC.

The Zips will return to James A. Rhodes Arena this Thursday night as they take on the Central Michigan Chippewa’s (5-16). Tip off time is scheduled for 7 p.m.