Rock climbing offers a non-traditional way to work out

“For my final semester at the University of Akron, I decided to spice up my schedule a bit, opting to enroll in a few fun, interesting classes, one of which is rock-climbing. I know, I know, the idea of ascending oneself up a 50 foot wall sounds about as appealing as spending a day at a farm raking animal dung, but it actually really is a great-and non-traditional-way to tone up.”

For my final semester at the University of Akron, I decided to spice up my schedule a bit, opting to enroll in a few fun, interesting classes, one of which is rock-climbing.

I know, I know, the idea of ascending oneself up a 50 foot wall sounds about as appealing as spending a day at a farm raking animal dung, but it actually really is a great-and non-traditional-way to tone up.

As many know, exercise is an integral part to the equation of both looking and feeling good, and therefore a definite tenant of a fashionable life.

For those of you who cringe at the boring and uncreative prospects of sauntering on a treadmill for a couple of hours or dully sitting on a weight bench, rock-climbing offers a challenging, rigorous alternative.

Though it may look easy, using one’s arms and legs to scale a nearly flat surface is no simple feat.

It takes agility, relaxation and, most importantly, being extremely in tune with the intricate movements of one’s body.

Because of these mandatory skills, in addition to being a sport, rock-climbing can also be classified as an art technique much like ballet.

It’s not just about climbing the wall, but also doing so with grace and control.

And the results are fantastic. After each one of my classes, which begin at the godforsaken hour of 8:40 a.m., my body-particularly my back and arms-are left aching and I can immediately feel the effects of the exercise.

With a state of the art rock wall conveniently located in the Rec Center, students have a great opportunity to try out an exciting and strenuous new sport.

One would be foolish not to try climbing at least once, if only for the possibilities of a more toned, more flexible body.

Also, for those of you who are more experienced climbers or beginners just wanting to practice, this Saturday, Feb. 6 from 11 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., the University of Akron will be hosting a rock climbing competition for students from six regional universities as part of the University Bouldering Series.

There will be a $20 entrance fee, which also includes a T-shirt.

Though one may register on the day of the event, it is strongly preferred that you pre-register online at [email protected] as spots fill quickly.

In addition to rock-climbing, guests will also be able to take part in a milk carton box stacking contest in which participants will be put in a harness and have to lift his or her body to stack the boxes.

For more information, contact Andy Loue at 330-972-2348 or [email protected].