Women's basketball heads to Buffalo over weekend

“The Zips women’s basketball team will travel to New York this Saturday to take on the fifth seeded Mid American Conference east division Buffalo Bulls (6-17). The Bulls are coming off a win after defeating the Central Michigan Chippewas 60-52 Feb. 6. Leading the Bulls in scoring this season is Kourtney Brown with 411 points.”

The Zips women’s basketball team will travel to New York this Saturday to take on the fifth seeded Mid American Conference east division Buffalo Bulls (6-17).

The Bulls are coming off a win after defeating the Central Michigan Chippewas 60-52 Feb. 6.

Leading the Bulls in scoring this season is Kourtney Brown with 411 points.

Brown was announced co MAC player of the week this week as she recorded her 13th double-double last week against the Chippewas.

Brown leads the Bulls in blocked shots (47) and steals (46).

She also leads the defensive attack for the Bulls in rebounding with 264, an average of 11.5 rebounds per game.

She is sixth in the country in rebounding and second in the country in offensive rebounds.

Jessica Fortman leads the Bulls with 60 assists.

The Bulls have made 520 of their 1305 shots this season.

Other key stats for the Bulls are 916 rebounds, 292 assists, 86 blocks and 195 steals.

The Zips are second in the MAC eastern division with their win against the Northern Illinois Feb. 6 Huskies and Kent State’s loss to the Eastern Michigan Eagles 78-72.

The Zips are now just trailing the Bowling Green State Falcons (19-5).

It feels really good for our team to have the success we’ve been having, in the past we have struggled a little bit, it’s nice to be having some success, shooting guard Amber Witt said.

The Zips are the top defensive team in the MAC allowing only 58.4 points per game.

Eastern Michigan is second allowing 60 points per game.

Our defense creates our offense, small forward Kara Murphy said.

The Zips have found success on the defensive side of the ball this season with 909 rebounds, 53 blocks, and 194 steals.

After averaging only 3.9 points per game through her first 20 games, Witt has been averaging 10.3 points per game her last three.

Kara Murphy is coming closer to becoming the all time leading scorer (1,372 points all time) for the Zips still trailing Pam Arnold (1,544 points all time) by 172 points.

The Zips have three players averaging double digits this season. Murphy leads the way with 14.9 points per game.

Power forward Rachel Tecca is averaging 10.6 points per game and Kyle Baumgartner is averaging 10.3 points per game.

Tecca is a candidate for MAC freshman of the year. She is the second leading scorer for the Zips and third in rebounding.

Jolene Tamboue leads the Zips in rebounding with 174.

Ayla Guzzardo leads the Zips in assists with 93.

The Zips took on the MAC western division leader the Toledo Rockets on Wednesday night.

The Zips will return home to James A. Rhodes arena is Feb. 20 playing the first ranked Bowling Green State Falcons (19-5) of the MAC eastern division.