Stevo's Ego

“The other day I was using the ATM at the Student Union when I felt a finger on my back and a female voice say to me give me all your money. Thankfully, it was a friend of mine. But the way things are on campus lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tried robbing me in the middle of the day, on campus at the Union in front of witnesses.”

The other day I was using the ATM at the Student Union when I felt a finger on my back and a female voice say to me give me all your money.

Thankfully, it was a friend of mine.

But the way things are on campus lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone tried robbing me in the middle of the day, on campus at the Union in front of witnesses.

The two of us shared a laugh and as she left I smiled and thought to myself that I hope she would just ask me if ever she needed a loan.

As funny as the whole situation was though, it occured to me that there really isn’t anything preventing a mugger from nabbing my wallet if they really wanted it.

Don’t get me wrong. Someone would have to be pretty desperate and stupid to do something like that, but, just a few weeks ago, some poor victim got robbed by Schrank in broad daylight, right by where all the Roo Express buses roll through.

No drivers, he wasn’t waving at you. This of course is not a matter for the Roo to handle.

What I’m trying to say is this: Why is it so easy to get robbed?

There really is no easy way of distinguishing students from trespassers. Everyone can be made out to look like students and faculty, and, given the way muggers are acting, I doubt they’re giving it much thought.

If they were that worried all they would have to do about disguise all is nab a book bag on their way in.

It’s not like most buildings on campus need special access and the parking lots (which are conveniently full all the time) are right on the outskirts.

They say you can stand by a blue light emergency box and always be able to spot another one close by, but I’ve honestly done that and was met with a different result.

This may be just a rumor, but I’ve also heard some of them are inoperable and that doesn’t do anyone a bit of good.

Except for the muggers, of course.

I’m sure UAPD does everything they can to prevent theft, but I’m curious to know what students do to prevent suspicious behavior.

I find it really hard to believe that no one witnessed the robberies on Spicer and at Shrank, especially when they happened in areas with lots of foot traffic.

Regardless of the fact that anyone can look like a student, perhaps one shouldn’t dismiss the possibility that there are things your eyes are capable of seeing which register as abnormal behavior.

For instance, anything that makes one raise an eyebrow. Or, I don’t know, someone forcibly taking another person’s belongings and bolting?

So, in retrospect, that laugh shared between my friend and I may have been more of a forewarning of sorts for me to always be conscious of my surroundings and I feel it’s only right that you do the same.