Track quartet sets records at LSU relay

“The Zips track and field team visited Baton Rouge on Friday for a two day event in UA’s first outside track and field meet of the season. On Friday, the Akron 4×800 relay team, which consisted of J’Lani Pryce, Adam Stackpole, Zachary Goulet and Willie Brown, set three records for the Zips at the LSU Tiger Relays The relay team posted a time of 7:36.”

The Zips track and field team visited Baton Rouge on Friday for a two day event in UA’s first outside track and field meet of the season.

On Friday, the Akron 4×800 relay team, which consisted of J’Lani Pryce, Adam Stackpole, Zachary Goulet and Willie Brown, set three records for the Zips at the LSU Tiger Relays

The relay team posted a time of 7:36.93, which is a UA record. This is also a LSU Tigers Relay meet record and a LSU B. Moore Track Record. The Zips relay team broke a four year record of 7:40.72, and a one year meet and track record, which was set by a TCU relay squad last year.

In her first performance of the year, senior Lauren Whitetail placed second in javelin throwing 143-3. Katie Nentwick placed fifth for the Zips throwing 120-5.

In women’s hammer, Valerie Wert had a solid throw of 190-8. Former Zip, and 2009 NCAA hammer champion Stevi Large won the event with a throw of 213-3.

Eric Hubbard placed second in men’s hammer with a personal best record of 194-3. This ranks third best on the Zips all-time list. Akron freshman Nick Banke placed 10th in men’s hammer with a throw of 161-8.

Mike McCall placed fifth for the men’s side in Men’s High Jump with 6-6. Abigail Kuelling placed seventh with a jump of 5-3.73, and Brittany Cheese placed with a jump of 5-1.75. In the women’s shot put, Allison Lawyer had a mark of 46-5.50. In the long jump, Katherine Lee had a jump of 18-10.75. Zips Felicia Close placed 14th in the shot with a personal best of 36-7.

Akron sophomore Tyshaun Peoples qualified for the final of the 110-meter hurdles for Saturday with a time of 14.36. Zach Harper who had a score of 14.93 and Bjorn Johansson who had a time of 15.45 placed 10th and 17th.

UA sophomore Phil Ferguson qualified for Saturday’s final in the 100 meters placing ninth in the preliminaries with a time of 10.83.

The LSU Tigers Relays continued with day two on Saturday, March 27. The same Akron relay team that set three records on Friday, set two more on Saturday.

The record setting relay team which consisted of Adam Stackpole, J’Lani Pryce, Willie Brown and Zachary Goulet set the Akron LSU Tigers Relays records Saturday with a winning time of 10:11.26. The previous record for the Zips was set in 2003 with a time of 10:27.76. The previous meet record from last season was 10:14.44.

They had a great weekend bringing home lots of hardware, setting two school records and two meet records in the 4×800 in the Distance Medley Relays, Zips head coach Dennis Mitchell said.

Junior Tyler Sweet won the javelin competition with a 210-00 score.

Sweet is a two-time Mid-American Conference Champion. Junior Nick Erdesky placed ninth with 164-10. Joe McCoy also had a personal best record of 9:12.12 in the steeplechase.

In the mens 110 meter hurdles, Tyshaun Peoples came in second place for the Zips with a score of 14.21. This is a personal record for Peoples.

In discus, the Zips’ Valerie Wert was the runner up against LSU Samia Stokes who had a throw of 163-11.

Wert had a throw of 163-6. Zips Allison Lawyer placed sixth in discus with a throw of 150-6.

The Zips 4×100 team consisting of Tyshaun Peoples, Phil Ferguson, Marcus Ferguson, and Aaron Dobson, placed third with a score of 41.70.

In the 100 meter dash, Ferguson finished eighth with a time of 10.60.

Some other finishes include Larisa Arcip who placed sixth in the 800 meter dash with a time of 2:12.56, Mike Uhle who placed fifth in high jump with a jump of 16-7.50, Katherine Lee who placed fifth in pole vault with a score of 11-7, Alexandria Wood who placed eighth in pole vault with a score of 11-7, and Keith Huebner, who placed fourth in shot put with 55-1.

In the women’s 4×200 meter relay, the Zips Latalia Jones, Seanlay Bell, Melonie Wright and Felicia Wright placed seventh with a time of 1:42.72.

In the men’s 4×200 meter relay, Akron’s Aaron Dobson, Lorenzo Brazzell, Marcus Ferguson and Phil Ferguson placed fifth with a time of 1:26.61.

I was overall pleased with most of our performances at LSU. With it being our first outdoor meet we were rusty in some events, Mitchell said. We had some great competition there and nice weather.

We had some excellent marks. We came away with four victories and three school records.

The Zips will continue to compete next weekend at both the Texas Relays and the Duke Invitational Thursday April 1, Friday April 2, and Saturday April 3.