Plata, Zips walk-off with 11th inning win

“Tuesday evening Jake Plata was the hero for a night after hitting a walk off homerun in the 11th inning against Malone University. In a game of bats, the Zips came through in the clutch to pull off a win. The game remained scoreless until the third inning when Malone blew the door open scoring seven runs to lead the Zips the majority of the game.”

Tuesday evening Jake Plata was the hero for a night after hitting a walk off homerun in the 11th inning against Malone University.

In a game of bats, the Zips came through in the clutch to pull off a win.

The game remained scoreless until the third inning when Malone blew the door open scoring seven runs to lead the Zips the majority of the game. Starting pitcher Scott Foster went three innings, totaling 70 pitches.

The Zips got on the board after senior Kyle Hallett stole home plate from third on a wile pitch.

Hallett came to the rescue again in the fifth inning with a three run home run, bringing the Zips back to life.

We started out real slow, it was kind of like we weren’t ready to play, Hallett said. They gave us some opportunities to get back in the game and we started swinging the bat a little bit better.

But as soon as the Zips began staging their comeback that led to a two run deficit in the ninth inning.

Jake Plata hit a double, scoring the tying run and pushing the game into extra innings.

Pitcher Drew Turocey dsllowed Malone no runs despite getting into a few jams.

It was Plata that came through in the clutch hitting a walk-off home run to win the game.

I was sitting on a fastball and I saw it and waited back and just drove it into the gap, Plata said. The only reason I knew it was because the wind was blowing out that way.

I figured if I took it that way and got it high enough then hopefully it would go far enough.

As I touched first base I saw it go over.

I was happy to help, I just put the finishing touches on it.