Men's basketball rides strong first half over Divison III Millikin

The University of Akron men’s basketball team opened regular season play with an 89-41 win over

The Zips began the game on a 22-3 run and held Big Blue to just nine points in the first half of play –

The previous low was Urbana’s 13 points in the first half of a Zips’ 81-37 win Nov. 25, 2008.

We played pretty well the first half, Dambrot said. I didn’t think we shot it as good as we could

have, and I didn’t think we were really good in the second half, but it really didn’t matter at that point.

The Zips were led offensively by center Zeke Marshall, who had a career-high 17 points on 7-of-10

All I look for is the win, Marshall said. I don’t care if I get zero or 20. As long as we win, it doesn’t

Marshall also led the team with four block shots, but Dambrot said he believes Marshall can contest

I feel like he [Marshall] should be like [Patrick] Ewing was at Georgetown, and everyone should

come back, Dambrot said of Marshall’s ability to block shots. That’s how I view him, and I won’t

I take so much pride defensively, Marshall said. I didn’t play well defensively. I didn’t rebound, I

The Zips also received contribution off the bench from freshman Josh Egner, who added 15 points.

It was a great learning experience, Egner said. The biggest thing right now is trying to get

Zeke, Nikola Cvetinovic and Brett McKnight do a great job pushing me in practice, trying to get me

Said Dambrot of the game against Millikin, It’s good for us because I get to see guys like Josh [Egner]

The Zips will play their first road game of the 2010-11 season when they take on Dayton University (1-

We are going to play four teams that could be in the Top 25 in Dayton, Temple, Minnesota and Miami

UA will return to James A. Rhodes Arena Saturday to face Youngstown State University. Tip-off is set