Men's basketball dominates Bowling Green Falcons

On Tuesday night, The University of Akron men’s basketball team (16-10, 7-5 Mid-American Conference) took on the Bowling Green Falcons (12-14, 7-5 MAC) at Anderson Arena in Bowling Green, Ohio, winning 89-54 in front of a crowd of 1,445.

Leading the offensive attack for the Zips was guard Brett McClannahan who recorded 18 points, going 6-for-7 from behind the arc while grabbing five rebounds in 22 minutes of play.

Akron finished the game shooting 32-for-58 from the floor (55.2 percent) while stroking an impressive 16-for-28 from long range (57.1 percent).

Zips guard Darryl Roberts contributed a season-high 17 points, while forward Quincy Diggs added a career-high 16 points. Forward Nikola Cvetinovic led all rebounders in the game with 11.

He’s rebounded all year, but he’s really concentrated on it since MAC play started, said Head Coach Keith Dambrot. He really took on the defensive role and I think he’s passing the ball better, which is key for us. I think by far he is our best player right now.

UA started the second half, adding to their lead 52-25 with 17:05 left in regulation, with McClanahan adding three three-pointers during the 11-2 run.

In the first four minutes of play, the game appeared to be close, but after a 7-2 run by the Zips the lead was 15-8 with 13:38 left in the first half.

The Falcons were able to cut the lead to 17-14 with 10:36 to go, but UA added eight points (22-14) with 8:41 left in the first half.

Akron continued to play great defense against BGSU, holding them to just three baskets and nine points over the final 10:36 to go into the second half with a 41-23 lead.

The Zips ended the game shooting 15-for-29 from the floor (51.7 percent) and 7-for-13 from long range (53.8 percent) while holding BG scoreless from behind the arc, going 0-for-8.

Freshman guard Alex Abreu was able to capture the freshman assists record (95) with his first assist of the night, while forward Brett McKnight moved into 37th place on the career scoring list (1,109).

For Akron, this marks the fifth consecutive win over BG and the last time the two teams will meet in the 51-year-old Anderson Arena, as the Falcons will have a new venue next year.

We’ve played a lot of close games and we’ve won in their place, said Dambrot. We’ve probably for the most part been a little bit better than them. That’s probably why we’ve been successful.

The Zips will return to the court this Saturday in Akron at James A. Rhodes Arena when they take on the Creighton Blue Jays on ESPNU’s Bracket Busters game at 7 p.m.

” #1.2000794:2476264107.JPG:Darryl Roberts:Darryl Roberts had a season-high tying 17 points during the 89-54 rout of Bowling Green. Brett mcClanahan had a team-high 18 points while Quincy Diggs added a career-high 16.:Wallace Ball”