Zips' shooting M.I.A. at Miami

The hoops at Millett Hall in Oxford, Ohio were repellent to The University of Akron women’s basketball team Saturday afternoon. The Zips got behind early, shooting 9-for-27 in the first half, as they fell 77-64 to Miami.

The shooting woes proved to be too much for Akron to overcome, as they could not get back into the game from an early deficit.

The Redhawks came out red hot, starting the game on a 19-4 run in the opening eight minutes of the contest. The Zips got no closer than nine from that point on, and trailed 38-25 going into the locker room.

Akron (13-14, 6-9 MAC) hit only nine shots and one bucket from behind the arc in the first half, while Miami (11-17, 3-12 MAC) shot 50 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes.

The second half was a near reflection of the first, as Miami pushed the lead up to 20 in the opening minutes of the half. The Zips never pushed it under double figures, despite cutting the margin to 11 with over three minutes left in the ball game.

The 73-62 score was the closest the Zips would get, ending with a 13-point loss.

Miami came into Saturday’s game on a 10-game skid, picking up their last win at James A. Rhodes Arena in a 68-63 victory over the Zips on Jan. 15. The back-to-back victories for Miami over the Zips earn the Redhawks the season sweep over Akron.

Despite the loss, standout forward Rachel Tecca recorded her 14th double-double of the season, setting a new school record. Tecca posted 13 points and 13 rebounds on the night.

Freshman Carly Young was the only other Akron player to hit double figures, scoring 10 on 4-of-9 shooting.

Miami’s Courtney Osborn proved to be the game changer, recording 26 points on 8-of-14 shooting and 4-of-7 from deep in Millet Hall.

Miami’s Maggie Boyer (12 points) and Kirsten Olowinski (14 points) also hit the double-digit plateau. Olowinski added 12 boards to give her a double-double on the afternoon.

Akron shot 21-for-56 from the floor for the game, while Miami hit 26 of their total 52 attempts. Both teams were solid at the free throw line, as the Zips sunk 17-of-22 and the Redhawks knocked down 21-of-24.

The Zips’ next game brings Kent State (19-8, 10-5 MAC) to the JAR on Wednesday night. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Wednesday’s game will be the final regular season home game for Akron, as MAC tournament play begins March 5.