Men's basketball attacked by the Bobcats in Athens

After coming off a seven-game winning streak and an impressive 69-60 victory over Buffalo last Saturday, the Zips were set to extend their winning ways as they took on Ohio University at the Convocation Center Tuesday night.

The problem for the Zips was the wrong team showed up against the Ohio Bobcats, defeating Akron 80-55.

UA (19-11, 9-6 MAC) went 20-for-50 (40 percent) from the field and 7-for-23 (30.4 percent) from behind the three-point line.

Leading the Zips offensively was freshman guard Alex Abreu who had 11 points, while senior forward Brett McKnight added 10.

OU was led by guard D.J. Cooper who led all scorers with 25 points.

The Bobcats (17-13, 9-6 MAC) shot 51.8 percent from the floor, going 29-for-56 while 40.0 percent from behind the arc (8-for-20).

Akron attempted to make a comeback, trailing 54-24 with 15:38 to go as they went on a 7-0 run over the next three minutes to cut the lead to 54-31 with 12:20 left in the second half.

Ohio would extend their lead 50-22 at the 17:30 mark in the second half before junior forward Nikola Cvetinovic’s baskets ended Ohio’s 6-0 run in the opening of the half.

The beginning of the game proved to be more competitive, as Ohio took an early lead 12-9 at the 15:28 mark.

The Bobcat’s would extend their lead 25-18 with 7:51 to go in the first half and ended up closing the first half 44-22.

Sophomore center Zeke Marshall broke former Zip great Romeo Travis’s school record for blocks in a season (65, 2006-07 season). Marshall now has 68 blocks this season, recording three Tuesday night.

The Zips will conclude their season this Friday when they take on rival Kent State at the MAC Center at 7 p.m. on ESPN 2.