Mardi Gras dance party at EJ Thomas tonight

In 2010, Mardi Gras made its way to The University of Akron and this year it’s back again.

Mardi Gras began as a Roman tradition and eventually spread across the European continent. It then

came to the United States in 1699 and by the mid 1820’s, Mardi Gras was rooted in the culture of

New Orleans. The New Orleans Mardi Gras celebration is one of America’s biggest parties.

When you think Mardi Gras, you probably think of vibrant colors, beads, feathers, elaborate

masks and savory New Orleans cuisine. While New Orleans may be a bit out of our grasp, do not

despair, because EJ Thomas Hall is bringing America’s best celebration to The University of Akron

After its tremendous success last year, the Mardi Gras Dance Party has come back as the new

annual tradition for UA students. It is sponsored by RHPB, RHC and EJ Thomas and is free to UA

students with a valid Zip Card (admits two). Enjoy the festivities from 9:09 p.m. to midnight with

Rock out to DJ Sparky B and compete for prizes in the Best Mask contest. You will surely believe

you’ve left Akron and entered into the world of New Orleans during this night of Mardi Gras

” #1.2044044:1878343051.jpg:Mardi Gras:Dressing in vibrant colors is a big part of thte Mardi Gras celebration for many at the party.:Elizabeth Rose”