The negative side of unions

There is much debate about Ohio’s Senate Bill 5 regarding unions these days. My own mother is a state worker and is absolutely freaking out about the possibility of working without union protection. Even with almost 30 years of experience, she is worried that the evil John Kasich is going to come and rob her of her future by eliminating her pension and possibly even her job. She is not alone in her misunderstanding. The opposition forces are strong and the abandonment of logic and reason is even stronger.

Unfortunately, when put in context, SB5 is not a draconian measure that is hell-bent on destroying the lives of middle class workers. As a matter of fact, it is virtually the same deal that federal employees have enjoyed since Jimmy Carter eliminated collective bargaining in the 1970’s. Since then, federal salaries have actually increased, and the benefits still remain the best that money can buy. So I guess that’s one side of the argument that no one wishes to discuss.

Almost every state in America has laws on the books that ensure workers’ rights and safety. Ohio is one of those states. There are laws that protect against discrimination based on race, gender, disabilities, pregnancy and even age. We have a workers’ safety board that makes sure that safety rules and regulations are in place. There are ethics laws, child labor laws and many more that protect wage earners in Ohio. None of these have anything to do with unions.

What it all boils down to is money and power. Unions force dues onto their members and then use that money to lobby politicians. More often than not, union dues are poured into the pockets of the Democratic Party. That may be fine, if you are a Democrat supporter, but how can a Republican worker justify his or her money going to fund the campaigns of people he or she doesn’t agree with? It just doesn’t make sense.

All SB5 does is allow people to work for the government without having to pay unions to do what the laws already do, while taxpayers with strained wallets can rest assured that they aren’t paying for a bad teacher or corrupt police officer’s amazing pension and health care. Bad apples can now be eliminated with merit pay and the state won’t be on the verge of bankruptcy, while Kasich also moves ahead on his plan to wipe out our state income tax.

Americans always thrive when there is competition in the workplace. I suggest you actually read the bill and put everything in context. Ohioans elected Gov. Kasich to do exactly what he is doing; at least let him try before we burn him at the stake.