Fashionably Akron

As Coco Chanel once said, Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

Two University of Akron students are embracing that sentiment, even with gloomy skies dominating the forecast.

Jessica Conti and Anna Meyer recently founded Fashionably Akron, a fashion collective featuring the two women. The blog aims to showcase their individual style while also breaking boundaries about what they think is fashion.

Conti, a junior majoring in English, has been involved with fashion for many years. An aspiring writer, she spends much of her free time writing, but she also allots time to update her wardrobe.

I joined online fashion websites like Weardrobe and started following the wonderful world of fashion bloggers, said Conti. The online fashion community is expansive, inspirational and full of great people. I wanted to be a part of it.

Meyer, the other half of Fashionably Akron, is a sophomore majoring in Child Life at UA. Her outfits are inspired by beauty, elegance and nature, according to Conti.

Combining forces with Anna was a great idea, said Conti. I dress more eclectically and base my outfits around colors and the inconsistencies of my moods.

Anna’s an artist. I’m a writer. Her hair is long and mine is short. We’re opposites and that makes us a dynamic duo.

Fashionably Akron mostly features Conti and Meyer, but they’re seeking other fashionable people around the area to be featured on the blog.

As soon as it gets nice, we’re going to spend a day prowling UA’s campus to find people, said Conti. We also take submissions of already taken photos of creative people.

According to Conti, embracing Akron as a setting was the last idea the two had before launching the blog.

It happened on accident, said Conti, but we decided to run with it. The people in Akron love Akron. There doesn’t seem to be any concrete reason, but why not embrace it?

So far, reception has been very positive. The blog has been active for less than two weeks and it already has over 100 unique page views a day.

Anna and I have both made the front page of Weardrobe.com, which is where they feature their best dressed, said Conti. I’ve recently joined Chictopia.com, and one of my outfits was selected as an editor’s pick.

The features on both websites have generated a lot of traffic and fans to the blog, and Meyer and Conti have even been interviewed by another fashion blogger who has already discovered Fashionably Akron. Conti anticipates that the blog will grow as their style and photography progress.

I don’t understand when people go out in public in their pajamas, said Conti. For me, when I look good, I feel good.

I want to show people that a little effort goes a long way. We’re on a budget and proving that it’s possible to do great things with your wardrobe on the cheap.

You can see the blog at fashionably-akron.blogspot.com. To submit photos, send all e-mails to [email protected].

” #1.2145670:2853027747.jpg:Jessica Conti:Jessica Conti (pictured above) and Anna Meyer, both students at The University of Akron, recently started Fashionably Akron, a fashion blog. The blog has received positive reception so far, after only two weeks of existence.:Fashionably Akron”