Akron students from successful local entertainment company

Leisure time is very important to the average college student, and a big part of leisure time is going out and partying. As many UA college students know, Thursday nights are college student nights — the night where you may find many students going out to parties and clubs. However, do you ever wonder who put together these unique themed parties that the local clubs hold? One group you might have heard of is Slap Entertainment. Slap ENT is an up-and-coming promotions and entertainment company founded by four UA college students.

It all began in the fall of 2009 when Stephen Franklin, Iris Dunor, Sendek Assefa and Blama Bolley wanted to change the college life experience and make it more exciting for the UA community. They came together to host their first event in a house on Kirn St., Boy Shorts vs. Leggins.

This event was so successful, we decided to start a promotion company and change Akron forever, said Dunor, chief director of promotional affairs for the group. Originally named Three Kings Entertainment, the group later changed their name to Slap Entertainment.

We chose this term because we felt as though it would relate to the youth who were our target audience, added Franklin, head of promotions and designs.

Being college students themselves, the members of Slap ENT. create and promote events that they believe will relate to other college students. This is the advantage they have over their older competition; they can relate to the target audience. They know what the average college student wants.

The members of Slap ENT have gained many good experiences from their endeavor, including networking opportunities with different groups and businesses around campus as well as experience with running a business. The group has worked with on campus fraternities such as Alpha Phi Alpha, Terrence J from WZIP 88.1, Club 330 and local business The Sky Lounge. They have also had the honor to meet Rick Ross, Baby from Cash Money, Trina and Rasheeda.

On Thursday, April 14, Slap ENT. will be hosting what is to be their biggest event yet: Boy Shorts vs. Leggins Part 3. This event is to commemorate the first anniversary of the official start of Slap ENT. Though the group had held previous events called Boy Shorts vs. Leggins, they were not an official entertainment and promotions company at the time.

The members of the group have high hopes for this event and many events yet to come.

We hope Slap ENT. can grow stronger and stand on their own; we hope to build our entertainment company and sign up-and-coming artists and possibly even start a clothing line, Assefa, media and marketing coordinator, said.

The group also hopes to work with organizations that strive to improve the community.

We have not had an opportunity to work for the community, but hope to in the future. However, each of our members individually gives their time to volunteer, Bolley, fundraising and account manager, said.