It's all Greek to me

Perhaps one of the most renowned stereotypes on college campuses today is about the Greeks. All fraternities and sororities have been grouped together into one giant category entitled paid for friends. However, people who are in fraternities and sororities fight back with the statement, If I paid for my friends, I surely didn’t pay enough.

Before this becomes an article on why you should join Greek Life or why you should not hate Greeks, let me make it clear that the stereotypes, unfortunately, do not stop once you go Greek. Once you are in Greek Life, no matter what fraternity or sorority you join, the stereotypes are, in fact, heightened.

It is no secret that each chapter on this campus has been given a reputation, whether they like it or not. One sorority is known as the girls who are stuck up, another is known for the alleged weight of their girls and another is known for how many extracurricular activities they like to participate in on the weekends. The same goes for fraternities. One fraternity is known on campus for how much they drink, another is known for how dorky their men are and another is known for hazing their men to the point of humiliation.

These stereotypes have got to stop! They not only separate chapters, but they separate people as well. We should not judge people based on our biases and hatred toward a certain sorority or fraternity. Rather, we should be open to learning more about them and quit dividing ourselves into these sub-categories we have all created.

By sticking with these stereotypes, we demolish any chance of actually being a united group of people. Instead of putting others down and being rude and hurtful, we should be defending Greek Life as a whole and supporting all chapters together. This is a possibility, but in order for it to become reality, we must break away from these disgusting stereotypes we have formed and start standing by each other, no matter what fraternity or sorority we are a part of.