Schupp's final stance

Why do you think some students choose to attend OSU, OU and Bowling Green? Let me tell you, it isn’t just for the academic programs. It also has a little something to do with the campus community, the college lifestyle that they provide. Call it immature, call is dangerous even, but that’s the truth.

Sumner Fest. Spring Fest. Rankin Fest. Rage on Gage. A-K Bar Crawl. All of these events attempt to give college students what they want and to satisfy their urge to throw a few back. Unfortunately, not all of these events are successful because higher-up administration attempts to bottle up and suppress any attempt to provide that college lifestyle to the student body. 

Why do you think some students choose to attend OSU, OU and Bowling Green? Let me tell you, it isn’t just for the academic programs. It also has a little something to do with the campus community, the college lifestyle that they provide. Call it immature, call is dangerous even, but that’s the truth.

Large–scale partying happens across the nation and it is successful.  Why?  It’s simple. A slight collaboration exists between the institution, the administration, the hosts and the police.  Shunning the off-campus party scene here at Akron is only making it worse. 

The University and the administration need to step out of the bubble they are living in and wake up to the fact students will find a way to party and go ham with or without their help.  Cleary, the best solution is for everyone involved to work together to make such events as safe as possible. 

Unfortunately, the higher administration refuses to do so.  Instead, they choose to sit back and monitor Facebook, essentially stalking the individuals who they suspect to be involved with such events. It makes me smile. Our tuition dollars are essentially funding their ability to Facebook creep. How about you do some actual, productive work in the office and find ways to make things a win-win.

This upcoming weekend is going to be interesting, and I am patiently waiting to see how everything unfolds. How about a toast to higher administration?  To opening your eyes, embracing change and accepting the truth. Cheers.