Our View: Craving Discomfort

In just over a week, I will have officially graduated from UA. After five years, I will have two B.A. degrees and will soon be off to Arizona State University to begin my Ph.D. (with full funding, I may add).

Akron has changed a great deal, both as a city and university, since I moved into the Honors Complex as a freshman. I have changed as well.

In just over a week, I will have officially graduated from UA. After five years, I will have two B.A. degrees and will soon be off to Arizona State University to begin my Ph.D. (with full funding, I may add).

I have learned how to manage a million things at once, how to write clearly and concisely, communicate with confidence, do research on my own and run student organizations (including this newspaper).

More importantly, I learned to pursue what I believe in, regardless of the opinions of those around me. I have learned to stand alone if need be, and to seek out positive people and circumstances while purging myself of negative ones.

I have also learned to embrace change, to crave it even. Perhaps that’s why I’m so excited to leave, to remove myself from a space that has become comfortable, stagnant. Perhaps it’s simply senioritis, but I think it’s more complex than that.

Despite having some amazing mentors, professors, friends and opportunities, all of whom have helped me succeed as I have, my perception of the University has become increasingly negative over the last year.

My disappointment with the administration has become overwhelming. While I have always felt that they were more concerned with getting students to come to UA than with taking care of those who are already here, I now feel very intensely that there is a conscious attempt to stifle student voices — to hide anything that could be perceived as taboo or controversial. Such a trend is dangerous.

There also seems to be a disconnect that exists between the high-ups and those of us still on the ground, which includes not only students, but also those faculty who don’t wear designer suits to work every day. That disconnect has manifested itself in not only the designer suits, but also through policy and presentation.

If I could ask anything of the administration, it would be to come back down to earth. Speak to everyone, especially those who disagree with you. Take more of a guiding approach to the student body, and less of a controlling one. Acknowledge the issues that exist on campus, don’t hide from them; and perhaps over time a connection and new respect can emerge between those who pay to attend UA, and those who are paid to work at UA.

Despite my longing for a shift in location and my clear distaste for some things that are happening on campus, I have great faith that after the stress of the next week has subsided, positive memories will reemerge.

I will remember that I have found an amazing community of faculty and friends and the how I felt the first time I was pursuing what I was not only good at, but felt passionately about. I will remember being in The Vagina Monologues, conquering my stage freight. I’ll remember having my research accepted for presentation at APA, being asked to be editor-in-chief, and, perhaps especially, I’ll remember receiving my acceptance letter to graduate school — the final verification that I have done everything right, have gotten everything out of UA that was possible.

And I know I’ll remember when I turn in that final paper, take that final exam and walk down the steps of CAS. It will be an extraordinary feeling. So while I am thrilled to leave, and strongly believe there are things that need to change, I will always be grateful for my experiences at UA.

In this final sendoff, I would also like to offer a few pieces of advice. Take them as you will.

If you are planning on attending graduate school, start preparing yesterday. Seriously. It takes at least 10 times as long as you think it will. Be prepared.

Do your research, both in terms of actual research and also in regards to the best classes and professors. And certainly never take a course just because it’s an easy A. That means it probably isn’t worth your time.

Seek out mentors. There are some amazing professors on campus waiting to inspire and guide you. They will help shape your present and your future. These are vital relationships. Embrace their criticisms and compliments equally. 

Always say yes to things that scare you, and no to things you feel indifferent about. If something makes you uncomfortable, there’s probably a reason for it. Conquer those feelings.

Release yourself of any feelings of entitlement. You are setting yourself up for disappointment, and in reality, there is always someone who deserves it more than you. With that being said, go for what you really want, but have a net to catch you if it doesn’t work out the first time around. Then be sure to try again.

Take care of yourself, mentally and physically. While this is advice that I certainly haven’t always followed, I believe that it’s vital.