Graphic Design show opens in Folk

On Friday, the Myer’s School of Art’s Graphic Design show opened in the Emily Davis Gallery of Folk Hall. This was no typical gallery opening where eccentrics wander through the space discussing the aesthetics of a painting and artists nervously hope that somebody with money will like their work. This show, suitably named Connections, was about just that: making connections with design firms and other professionals to help secure a career in the future.

In order to best carry out this goal, the students had to work together to advertise, organize and set up for the show. High-quality posters were printed out and posted, emails were sent out and postcards were passed around, advertising for the opening. Graphic Design students spent all week painting the walls of the building to make the best impression possible on possible hirers, not to mention the fact that they have been preparing their portfolios for the show and working with staff to make connections since their freshman year.

Their hard work was clear to visitors; every aspect of the show seemed to exude precision and professionalism. Upon entering Folk Hall, visitors were greeted with live jazz music and a large spread of delicious snacks and punch. The wall of the upper atrium of Folk, normally covered with uneven patches of white paint and spackling, was freshly painted white with large red arrows and the title Let’s connect. Inside the gallery, identical tables were lined up for each student to present his or her portfolio, each organized inside a clean, metal binder. They also had personalized business cards, resumes and promos available for visitors to take home. Students were dressed in their best business attire and they stood by their tables, ready to greet visitors and present their work.

Despite the fact that each students’ work was organized the same, the portfolios were in no way redundant. One thing that helped distinguish each student from others was his or her business card; a clever choice, as this is what visitors and professionals revisit, and can therefore make a very long-lasting impression. Some examples of the ways that students made their cards (and therefore, their artwork) more appealing to visitors was in attaching things such as personalized finger skateboards, cloth envelopes, buttons, sticks of gum, flash drives, fortune cookies, mugs, coasters and even M&M’s with the student’s name printed on them. Students also passed out promos.

Individual students were eager to share their work with companies and agents during the first hour of the show, which was reserved for prospective hirers. Cephorah Yanke, who combines her graphic design work with her minors in Illustration and Digital Imaging, said that the possibility of scoring an interview was one of the most exciting things about this show.

Joey Augustyn, whose advertisements for Residence Life and Housing events have been displayed around campus for the past four years, said about the show, It seems really weird, seeing four years of work inside of one book. But it’s a good weird.

Each student seems to have different plans after they graduate. Alex Kocher, whose work is inspired by his love for the outdoors and the health of nature, hopes to find a job, possibly go to graduate school and then later teach, ultimately starting a clothing company. Other students, such as Augustyn, already have jobs with companies such as Apple, and are debating whether or not to go to graduate school.

Whatever plans students have, their preparation and hard work at the Myer’s School is certainly reflected in their individual portfolios. Each portfolio showed a different style and personality, and each portfolio will most definitely point the individual student in the direction of life they are going after The University of Akron.

“#1.2207668:4269463309.jpg:Alissa Fortune:The first half of the show was reserved for prospective hirers. Students displayed their best works in hopes of having the opportunity to interview with businesses or protential clients.:Emily Poor”